Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

setting up treestands

Old 04-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default setting up treestands

how does everybody set there stands up do you face your stand where the deer are coming from or do you put your back too the deer? also do you like too hunt funnels or saddles more?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not sit up stands where I can only see in one direction, I can see 360 degrees in my stands. Granted, I have to ease around to see behind me but I can see in three directions without moving anything bu my head, and I have killed deer coming from all directions. I sure wouldn't have my back towards the direction the deer are coming from if give the choice of one or the other For me, funnels are the place to be.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree 100%
Old 04-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

In the woods where the deer bed and stage to go into the crop fields, same with the front yard and I don't use tree stands or ladder stands.

Al
Old 04-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

stand set ups for me were always based more on what weapon I planned to use out of them and what direction I expected the deer to come from
like say setting up on a evening food plot set, and bow hunting, being a right handed shooter, I would TRY and have my left shoulder facing the direction I expect deer to come from, this way its a more natural position for me to be able to draw a bow, or would have it set up, for a shooting lane I expect the highest odds of , where I expect to shot the deer at!
this will also work more for me on a rifle too being right handed

SO< for me stand set up(minus using common winds to determine where too)
I try and make things so I have to move the least to shoot and be in the most comfortable position to shoot as well!

as for moving stands, that grows old for sure, and over the yrs, that was why I ended up with SO many stands at one point, as I rather add more stands than move them LOL

on my main farm I hunted, I think I had like 30 treestands set up there
a TRICK I found to make life easier on stand set up(being set most of mine alone)
was using a ladder first to find tree's I wanted a stand in, saved me a LOT of time and got me into better set up's, due to I could throw ladder up and SEE if the sight is worth a stand or not, rather than all the time used to set up, to get up there and find out the view, or things in the way are NOT what I hoped
plus having a ladder handy , made trimming back any higher up things in the way

when doing loc on stands, I found it WAY safer too

my main tool on private land stand set up's has been my atv
I can get 2-3 15-20 ft ladder stands on it, and a 24 ft ladder and all tools(pole saw and likes) and drive to a stand site and set up, can even use the ATV to stand up ladderstands with a snatch block and the atv's winch, or a LONG rope

little like driving a BIG rig thru the woods, but where I hunt mostly, it was always do able!, some times needed some 10 point turns to get thru tree's BUT< beat carrying it all in my back and legs!, Ain;t no spring chicken no more either

the pic's below show it with a 16 ft ladder and a 15 ladder stand, but I can get my 24 ft ladder on it, and a couple ladder stands, pre put together, and even add a few loc on's to the mix and carry them all out in one trip
used to set up and take down about 20 stands before and after every season, on some lands I couldn;'t leave up all yr, and I NEVER leave a loc on up more than a few weeks, I always used loc on's more as ways to tweak set up's and adapt as patterns changed in season!
an ATV can be a GREAT tool for hunters, a LOT of use's if you think about it
Attached Thumbnails setting up treestands-030.jpg  
Old 04-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also the way into and out of the stand is important. Being able to slip in without Deer hearing, smelling, or seeing your is key. Being able to slip out at the end of the hunt without spooking any deer ensures the hunt out of that stand for another day.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I do not sit up stands where I can only see in one direction, I can see 360 degrees in my stands. Granted, I have to ease around to see behind me but I can see in three directions without moving anything bu my head, and I have killed deer coming from all directions. I sure wouldn't have my back towards the direction the deer are coming from if give the choice of one or the other For me, funnels are the place to be.

Good info. Think about it. If you have a stand that only has a view of say 90-degrees vs 360-degrees you are creating 2 things. First, you have limited your opportunities from 100% to 25% and secong you have a stand that is only good to hunt when the wind direction is just right.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would like to offer some strong words of caution. As with hunting, if at all possible, never set up a treestand alone. This is the most likely time for an accident and of course always use a safety harness. If you are going to set up alone, same as hunting, let a responsible person know where you will be and when you should be done. Contact them when finished. If they don't hear from you atleast they can send help and know where to send it. (plan your hunt, hunt your plan)

This link gives the reported accidents involving treestands but what we have discovered is that many accidents that happen during pre-hunt or pre-season set up of stands aren't reported because the victims are not "hunting".

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/safety/...Summaries.aspx
Old 04-03-2017, 04:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good advice
Old 04-03-2017, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wind is the biggest factor for me. I hang most stands to hunt prevailing winds and a few to hunt odd winds. I hang them to make it as easy as possible to shoot where the deer will be. There is no reason to choose.

I would call a saddle a funnel so I really don't have an answer for that one. I try to be ready to hunt any funnel I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.