Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots for whitetails?

Old 12-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Worked with a guy who said he only took neck shots with his bow because he didn't want to waste meat... I still laugh about that knucklehead
Another one of those "you can't fix stupid" people!!!
Old 12-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Another one of those "you can't fix stupid" people!!!
You're getting kind of boring. Do you make it a habit of insulting every Hunter who doesn't do it your way?

ATB
Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
You're getting kind of boring. Do you make it a habit of insulting every Hunter who doesn't do it your way?

ATB
In the case of what he mentioned about the guy shooting a deer intentionally in the neck with archery equipment the answer every time would be yep! There is not much difference in calling the guy a knucklehead and what I did, especially when it doesn't even involve a site member. PS: You can always use the Ignore feature if you don't want to hear the truth!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-28-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC
Only time I use a neck shot is if I am dispatching a buck on a bad shot I made. I also won't aim for high shoulder. One example a shot a 6 point yesterday evening at 202 yards and hit him high in the shoulder. He dropped in his tracks and what I though was DRT wasn't he was still alive crawling to the ditch on his front hooves. I went to shoot a second time but he rolled in the ditch. Of course had to get down run down there and shot him in the back of the neck with my .270. On that deer I hit high shoulder and spine.
Out of sight out of mind.

Your absolutely right. Deer that drop right there more times than not don't die any quicker than the ones that run 100 yards from my experience.

I personally shoot right behind the shoulder with a gun and about halfway between the shoulder and liver with a bow to give myself a little more room for error on the shoulder side.

Last edited by rockport; 12-28-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Out of sight out of mind.

Your absolutely right. Deer that drop right there more times than not don't die any quicker than the ones that run 100 yards from my experience.

I personally shoot right behind the shoulder with a gun and about halfway between the shoulder and liver with a bow to give myself a little more room for error on the shoulder side.
Depending on whether your on the ground or close to it. You can do very well placing your arrow at the base of the neck where the great vessels run. My Rage heads leave a blood trail like an interstate. It's the same for a rifle. I guess some think only of the cervical spine when they think neck shot.

Not always the best choice but something to think about.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ignore feature

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
In the case of what he mentioned about the guy shooting a deer intentionally in the neck with archery equipment the answer every time would be yep! There is not much difference in calling the guy a knucklehead and what I did, especially when it doesn't even involve a site member. PS: You can always use the Ignore feature if you don't want to hear the truth!
Your insults are something new. I guess I hope you'll get over whatever loss is eating at you.

ATB
Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tell that to this one that got shot by a stupid idiot! Now go take a hike because this is the kind of crap that eats at me when people hunt that don't know what they're doing!
Attached Thumbnails Neck shots for whitetails?-mvc-074x.jpg  
Old 12-29-2014, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like Photoshop to me. I would not take a neck shot with a bow, but have and will probably do so in the future with a rifle. Yes a larger caliber rifle does not make up for a bad shot but it does help if you do screw up a little. I also think you should use the biggest gun you are most comfortable with and shot the most accurately.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bbj270
Looks like Photoshop to me. I would not take a neck shot with a bow, but have and will probably do so in the future with a rifle. Yes a larger caliber rifle does not make up for a bad shot but it does help if you do screw up a little. I also think you should use the biggest gun you are most comfortable with and shot the most accurately.
https://www.myworldnews.com/Channel/...-face-by-arrow

This is not Photoshop.
Can we just agree to disagree, and go on to something else?
And drop this subject
Thank You.
jrbsr
Old 12-29-2014, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
It certainly wasn't a photoshop and I hate being called a liar! It was right off my file disc from a muzzleloader hunt I did in NM. I would have killed him even though he was a little forkie, but it was the day before our season opened and I didn't want to risk a GW citing me. Here's another view. As jrbsr stated, let's just agree to disagree on this and move on!
Attached Thumbnails Neck shots for whitetails?-mvc-073x.jpg  

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-29-2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.