Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattlin Antlers

Old 11-01-2008, 07:26 PM

Default Rattlin Antlers

Hey Guys, I hunt in Illinois and the timber is pretty thick. Lookin for some good suggestions for transporting rattlin antlers securely and quiet. I use Primos horns so they are fairly large.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rattlin Antlers

first of all get a set of real antlers....and yes they are a pain to carry in and out but well worth it
Old 11-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned

Buy a backpack and put them in it along with anything else and it will make your hike easier and a little less noisy.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Typical Buck

I'd strongly recommend using a rattle bag instead. Small, much easier to transport, stays quiet until needed, and is just as effective as fooling big mature bucks as real or full-size synthetic antlers.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

I'd strongly recommend using a rattle bag instead. Small, much easier to transport, stays quiet until needed, and is just as effective as fooling big mature bucks as real or full-size synthetic antlers.
x2, antlers are nice until a deer is under you and they bump together or against something else and the deer pin points your location and spooks.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

bags were made for a reason, get a really nice bag and have at it. much easier.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

HS Makes a rattle bag and true talker grunt tube combo and you can pick the set up really cheap. The bag sounds pretty realistic but that grunter sounds absolutely sick! The bag also has a laynard and a elastic strap that holds your bag nice and tight for transport. I know there are many out there but you might want to consider HS.

Mack
Old 11-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Spike

I carry a set of sheds in a backpack. I must caution you though...
I always place them in such a way that the tines are pointed away from me while they are in the backpack. I have a friend that learned this the hard way...he slipped on a muddy stream bank falling down on his ass and back...he ended up with a tine about 4" into his back. He was very lucky and made a full recovery but it could have killed him!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:05 PM

Go to a flea market and pick up a set of real ones. Cut off the ends about two inches back and round them off. Cut off the brow tines ( thumb killers ). Nothing, NOTHING works better.. Tie them together with a piece of rope about a foot long and hang them over your shoulder.