Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rattlin bucks

Old 07-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default rattlin bucks

who hear rattles and how has your success been?
Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rattlin bucks

I use a rattlebag but haven't had too much success. I'm not sure if my timing is right when I do it. Ain't gonna stop me from trying though.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

I used to use a rattle bag and had no success, so I tried sheds from a nice heavy 8 pointer and rattled in 2 bucks my first night out last fall within 15 minutes of each other and ended up shooting a nice 10 pointer.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:39 PM

Im like everyone else I have used rattle bags with no apparent success. i think if you are in an area with a good number of mature bucks and you doe population is under control, then during the right time of the rut, I would think it would be successful, if you know what you are doing.

On another note I have always heard the it tends to frighten subornate bucks, but i can say that I have rattled and 10 mins later have a spike walk under my stand, I dont think the ratteling matter one way or the other to him.

I would try it man and see how it works, if bucks dont seem to be coming in hot and heavy then I would just stop, because it is defiently a good way to compromise your position.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Fork Horn

For some reason I've gotten out of it, but I used to rattle in at least one or two bucks a season. The smaller bucks would come right it, while the larger bucks would always seem to hang up out of bow range. I'm going to get back into it this year.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usualy don't to much. Because as I get sleepy I end up rattling. And generaly rattle too much. However figuring this out I have made it my last stitch effort a time or two and rattled in some nice deer. Unfortunatly they either caught me off gaurd or I blew it somehow.

BTW it was with a rattle bag. but all while bowhunting. don't do much during gun season.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had some luck with rattle bags but it needs to happen when there is a high buck to doe ratio. I hate to carry real or artificial antlers so the rattle bag works well for me. My success has been quite low but I always try it and it occasionally works. To improve my success I always try to do it early morning with low wind. I like to do it when it is noisy with dry leaves or crunchy snow so I can hear them coming. They say most of the ones you call in you never see and they circle you until they pick up your scent so I try to block my downwind side with something like a pond or a clearing.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use the primos rattling antlers along with the primos Roar and called in over 15 bucks last year, 8 in one night
Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a set of real antlers and it works for me, thats how i shot my first buck.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Use real antlers, don't just bang away, try and find some video of real deer fighting and mimmick the sounds they make. In a real fight the deer clash together, then shove back and forth, then often break away with a raking motion, so I rattle by banging together, a little silence to mimmick the shoving, then some clashing as the horns break free. We mix in some grunts and an occassional estruse bleat from a can, and that seems to work out great for us. We vary the time between rattling, and the intensity of the rattles to more closely fit what a deer would hear in nature.

Quick Reply: rattlin bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.