Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunting Laws for Indiana

Old 08-19-2006, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Hunting Laws for Indiana

I would say a muzzeloader is good til about 200 yards. Nikon just released the BDc for the omega that is ranged at 250. To each his own just make it clean.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Im thinking this is also the final year for the five year trial period of the one buck rule. im wondering if it will go thru again.
Dan
The OBR still has one more year of data collection(this season) before they have the trial period finished , then a year or two of analysis will follow before a final decision is reached. I've spoken with Director Hupfer personally at an NRC meeting , along with several other IDNR officials at that and other meetings , so far the OBR hasn't produced what it was purported to do when it was first proposed according to them , and is rather unlikely to be continued in light of ongoing dissatisfaction by the many hunters who miss the two buck limit . It doesn't affect me personally since I'm a meat hunter , but I oppose any scheme that limits hunter opportunities without conclusive proof that it does in fact work .

You can view the new hunting guide and it's new regs here: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/huntguide1/hunting1.htm
Old 08-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Zim

I believe the one buck rule was actually already extended this year, for one more year. The 5th year was 2005. Most seem to like this, including me. Not sure why they don't just make it permanent.
Incorrect , this is the final year of the trial period as I stated above .

I honestly hope you'll be happier in your new home , but with the increasing prevalence of leasing and outfitting there I also hope you bought a patch large enough to hunt on for the rest of your life unless there's substantial public ground nearby . Illinois is rapidly pricing it's own citizens out of hunting , Indiana isn't and our herd is steadily improving according to both P&Y and B&C .
Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 PM

I really don't have a problem with indiana's obr. As a result I would say from my experience, that I am seeing 3x's as many buck as I used too. My major concern is that in the woods I hunt (about 250 acres) is that the majority of these buck are ugly. Deformed racks, spindley,just plain ugly.I worry that they will over take the herd. It would be nice if we could buy a ugly buck tag just to cull the herd of inferior genetics. just wishing I know
Old 08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arrowmaster,
I dont quite understand something you posted. Your Encore is good out to at least 250 yet you say you dont get why people would want to shoot a deer at 300.
Do you see a big difference and greater sport at 250 rather than 300 or 350?
You question bringing in rifles yet think that the Encore is OK.

Please clarify if i'm misunderstanding what you are saying