Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hunting Laws >

Hunting Laws

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hunting Laws

Old 02-28-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Hunting Laws

Okay; my buddy and I are having a little discussion regarding the laws of hunting. He said that if you are involved in a shooting accident you will likely be ticketed or serve jail time. I said accidents happen. Does anyone here know which is correct.

TP
Old 02-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Laws

Ask Dick Cheney
Old 02-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Depends on how the accident happened. Was it pure neglegance like you shooting at a moving bush or did you slip on a rock and fell while taking aim at a deer and the gun fired shooting a buddy.

Then your actions immediately after the accident come into play. Did you call 911 if it was possible? Did you try to stop the bleeding? Did you do everything you could to get immediate medical atention?

A lot of variables would come into play.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

You accidentally shot your buddy, didn't you? Better to dail 911 than to go ahead and field dress him.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:41 AM

How good of buddies are you?

I goes case by case. If you shoot somebody thinking he's something else, then take off runnin', you're probably fu$$ed.

If its an accidental discharge, ricochet, or the like, and you stay to help, I'd imagine that no charges would be filed.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:07 PM

Depends on the state. Drop your gun and shot your hunting partner in one state you'll get charged, shot and kill your hunting partner(the guy's son in the case I'm thinking of)while he's in a bushin a different state and have no charges filed against you.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very seldom is anyone charged after a true hunting accident. Of course the facts are always different.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:56 PM
bigcountry

Depends where and how. And most importantly, the distict attorney. If he is an antihunter, or antigun, you will be in trouble. Anytimeyou fire a gun and hit somebody, its automatically a crime, (a few states like Fl however has made a law for exceptions), and up the DA tomake a call to put a personon trial.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:28 PM

Some awfully flipant answers for a pretty serious situation! There are accidental killings, maimings, injuries, and such. The facts and particulars of the case are the deciding factor as to wether or not there was intent or negligance.
I would think that hunting accidents would follow the same rules.
Strangely enough, hunting accidents statistically occur quite seldom. In fact, from a statistical point of view, ping pong is more dangerous than hunting. Of course when you have an accident in ping pong, it usually involves and elbow into the corner of the table. When you have an accident in hunting it usually involves getting shot of falling off of a mountain.
STAY SAFE OUT THERE YOU ALL. THE LIBERALS ARE WATCHING!!
Marco
Old 03-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TWPICKENS

Okay; my buddy and I are having a little discussion regarding the laws of hunting. He said that if you are involved in a shooting accident you will likely be ticketed or serve jail time. I said accidents happen. Does anyone here know which is correct. TP
IMO, far too many people who have "hunting accidents" are never prosecuted, but most should be! I have never heard of a non-preventable hunting accident. Maybe there are some, like a person being hit a mile away, when the shooter was not aware of their presence on the other side of the hill or canyon, etc. These days, there seems to be more of a tendency for prosecutors to charge those responsible for "hunting accidents" with some sort of crime. GOOD!!

But I think at the very least, Dick Cheney should be required to pass a hunter safety course before he gets his hunting license back!!

(Reminds me of the sign I oncesaw posted on the bulletin board of a Rod & Gun Club outside of Indianapolis IN one fall:

ATTENTION HUNTERS!! HUNTING SEASON IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!!
IF YOU INSIST ON HAVING AN ACCIDENT, PLEASE DO IT ON THE HIGHWAY - WHERE IT WILL NOT BE NOTICED )