Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

3 rivers cedars?

Old 04-24-2006, 06:33 PM
bigcountry

Default 3 rivers cedars?

My girlfriend got me some premium port cedar arrows from cabelas, and they are 3 rivers. I roll tested all of them, and some are really crooked. I realize they will have some crook to em. But how much? I tried to hand straighten by holding at a bend for 20 seconds. But it didn't seem to do much to em.

I was thinking I could locate the bend by spin testing and mark it lightly then place them all between two blocks with the mark up and lay something on them. Is that silly?

Old 04-24-2006, 07:22 PM

Default RE: 3 rivers cedars?

You can also Take a 2X4 and dill a hole the size of the shafts, Heat up with a hair drier and put the arrow through the hole so that the bent area is in the middle then work the arrow against the the bend.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:41 PM

Ijust straighten them by hand. You have to bend (overbend) them against you palm. Normally I have to straighten arrows three times before they will stay straight. I bundle them up tightly with rubber bands in between straightening. Normally you don't have to bend them that hard to straighten them. Even my 80 pound shafts can be easily straighten by hand.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got some shafts off Ebay that turned out to be 3Rivers and they were crooked as the dickens too. A few had some pretty nasty kinks. Hand straightening didn't cut it. Had to break out my ol' arrow straightener - the kind with the lever and dial indicator for aluminum arrows. After a couple of sessions with that, they turned out to be good arrows.

I had never gotten cedar shafts that were as crooked as those were, andI would have been flat ticked off if I'd paid premium price for them.[>:]But, I only paid sumthin like $17 a dozen for them,so I couldn't gripe about it too much.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 AM
bigcountry

Ok, so it sounds like these are not the norm?

I will see what I can do.

Thanks for the advise.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:07 AM

Unless they were advertised as being hand straightened, then I would think that is the norm.... All the raw wood shafts that I have purchased have had some wobble in them...... It will take a few straightening sessions, but they can be made to fly well.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:22 AM

Just from what I was told from a very knowledgable friend, 3 rivers has the reputation of buying a 100 arrows and only getting maybe a dozen out of them that are "hunting worthy" if you will. I haven't yet recieved any from 3 rivers, but after reading the above, it sounds as if it may be true. Don't get me wrong, I like 3 rivers, justiffy about their cedars.