Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer Feeder Placement ?

Old 02-26-2002, 07:03 PM

Default Deer Feeder Placement ?

I'm going to set up a feeder during this off season. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to the best placement.
I'm on private land but there is a problem with trespassers from time to time. I have no fields to set up in. My choices are basically Thick cover or hardwoods? I was also wondering how long it usually takes for the deer to get used to the noise the feeder makes when dispersing the corn?
Old 02-26-2002, 07:17 PM

Default RE: Deer Feeder Placement ?

They will become used to it quite quickly. Ii have found that after being in place for a while often times deer will bed very close by to the feeder, and be there within a few minutes of it going off.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:28 PM

Default RE: Deer Feeder Placement ?

I found that my feeders sound like a dinner bell for the deer on my property. In fact I recently read somewhere that the latest game call is one that sounds like a feeder motor.

Bowdaddy, I placed my two feeders near heavily traveled deer paths. Not directly on the path but about 8 to 10 feet off to the side of an intersection. It took the deer about two days to start feeding under them.

Something that I would recommend is to set your feeder up to offer a very small amount of grain (I use cracked corn in one and whole corn in the other). The reason I do this is because I do not want the deer to become dependant on the feeders. I may not get out there as often as I should and I don't want to interfere with their natural feeding habits. I also think that the deer and turkey prefer to browse for their food rather than have the food in large portions.

Works for me.