Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rattle, grunt, or neither? >

Rattle, grunt, or neither?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattle, grunt, or neither?

Old 12-18-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Rattle, grunt, or neither?

Place: central WI

Time: post primary rut

Dilemma:

I don't know what thedoe/buck ratio is. I'm afraid that rattling or bleating/grunting might scare awaythe buck I'm after if he's nearby. I'm also afraid that he might be nearby but just wont happen to come my way that day if I don't call him in. What would you do?

Devil's Lake State Park near Wisconsin Dells is where this buck is. Does anyone know the doe/buck ratio for this area? The 130 net on my wall is probably his dad considering he's in the exact same spot where I shot his could be pop in '01. I'm all for family reunions. Help me set it up.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rattle, grunt, or neither?

Never hunted up there just camped and drank to many beers! About calling. I've bowhunted WI for 13 yrs not a lot but enough. Unless your on private land. Deer have probably heard it all. I've only rattled in 3-4 deer, and grunted in 5-6 deer. I just findsign, find the bedding, and the food. I don't do much blind calling anymore. I save the calling for a deer I see and am trying to get to come into range.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

This time of year your better off being stealth as possible. The deer have been hunted for several months and are on their last nerve. Just my opinion but I would be quiet as a mouse, still as a rock, and enter your spot in the least entrucive way possible.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:45 PM

I would stick to the grunting if i were you. You don't want to be too aggresive with the deer. I have scared bucks off before by rattling where as with a grunt they just might not always pay attention! Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Site Buck Guru

I've hunted in Wisconsin for 38 years. At this time of year the Bucks do not want to fight, so do not rattle. I would use a soft grunt to get his attention in addition with some doe bleats. A curiosity thing. I was near your area this weekend and did not see any rut activity. What I saw was a lot of feeding activity. I shot a buck with a gun that had already shed one antler, the other fell off when he hit the ground. Seems early to me. There may be a third streak of rut activity near the 1st of the year for some fawns, but that may be close to the end of your season. As far as buck/doe ratio, not good enough for competition or agressive calling.