Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Rubber boots vs std hunting boots >

Rubber boots vs std hunting boots

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rubber boots vs std hunting boots

Old 08-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rubber boots vs std hunting boots

I have a pair of comfortable LaCrosse hunting boots. My friend keeps telling me and I read that using rubber boots is better for scent control. Granted the rubber would come in handy around creeks and other water, but is spraying down my regular hunting boots with scent killer and or cover scent good enough? What do you all use?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rubber boots vs std hunting boots

What material(s) are your current boots constructed from ?
All leather boots will deposit foreign odors and aren't really abated by descenting sprays since the sweat from your feet penetrates them constantly when you walk . Keeping them rubbed with mink oil can both waterproof them and cover your scent , but make sure there are minks indigenous to where you'll be hunting . Cordura nylon uppers with rubber soles take descenting well and won't leave residual odor if you keep their outsides clean and descented . Rubber boots don't absorb odors and prevent your sweat from bleeding through , but they generally don't breathe well and encourage sweaty foot problems . I'm also inclined to think that rubber boots will leave an odor behind for the simple reason that even my worn out old snout can easily smell rubber , I can only imagine what it would smell like to an animal with a nose like a deer's . Rubber doesn't occur naturally in North America , I'm fairly certain that deer know this too .
Old 09-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

6 of 1...half dozen of another... personal preference.... for long walking, hills etc...BOOTS lthr............sitting on stand or in blind rubber
Old 09-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

An all rubber boot won't breathe , so your feet will get soaked easily . Rubber has an unnatural smell , and if you can smell it so can deer . I wear cordura nylon boots which I spray with home made scent killer , it seems to work .

HGS: Minks are weasels and weasels are indigenous to every state in the US. Deer aren't spooked by them .
Old 09-07-2006, 03:06 PM

In the past I've worn Rocky boots with leather lowers and cordura uppers and have never had a problem with deer smelling my path of entrance to a stand. I've had deer cross my path within two minutes of climbing into my stand and not spook. But, you must keep your boots, socks, and feet as scent free as possible.THE major reason I don't like rubber boots is that they get cold real easy and stay that way.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

I use rubber boots howevermy feed dosweat!!

TP