Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Cerakote barrel removal >

Cerakote barrel removal

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Cerakote barrel removal

Old 01-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Spike

Default Cerakote barrel removal

Hi everyone,

I have a Mossberg 500 which has been Cerakoted black. I have both an 18.5" and 28" barrel for it, to fit it's dual use as a home-defense and hunting gun. In the years since I had the coating applied, I've been trying to take it easy on the takedown assembly (aka barrel/magazine bolt thing) to prevent marring. But no matter how careful I am, the coating is getting messed up. I realize guns get scratched with use. Maybe it was my time in the military, but I like uniformity and this is messing with my universe.

So, does anybody have a suggestion for a tool or method for screwing/unscrewing the bolt that will minimize the amount of wear and tear on the bolt finish? I don't switch barrels often. Usually only a few times a year for the occasional trap weekend or (in this instance) rabbit hunting.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

What bolt? You mean the cap nut on the magazine tube that holds the barrel in place? If you do, then you don't need a tool at all. Hand tighten that cap nut. It's doesn't need to be wrenched down.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
What bolt? You mean the cap nut on the magazine tube that holds the barrel in place? If you do, then you don't need a tool at all. Hand tighten that cap nut. It's doesn't need to be wrenched down.
That's what I always thought. But when I don't wrench it down I've got a gap between the barrel rib and the top of the receiver. It wasn't like that last time I got it back from the smith, so I figured they must have cranked it down hard. What am I doing wrong that I'm ending up with the gap?

Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just wrap a cloth around the nut and use "soft jaw" channellocks on my 1100...works fine.