Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Problem sighting in x-bolt >

Problem sighting in x-bolt

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Problem sighting in x-bolt

Old 02-16-2017, 08:15 AM
Spike

Default Problem sighting in x-bolt

I will apologize in advance, this is going to get very long. Sorry for any typos, I'm writing this from my iPhone. This is my first post, so hello to all.
So, I bought my x-bolt eclipse hunter in 300wsm brand new. I ordered in my Zeiss conquest HD-5 with locking target turrets and got the talley mounts which are stated to be comparable with all action lengths. I ran it all down to my gunsmith to have it mounted and bored sighted. I got a call from him the next day telling my that he cannot get it to bore sight. He tells me he has mounted multiple different scopes, with multiple sets of different rings, and used multiple different bore sights to try and figure out where the problem might be and the only thing he could possible come up with is that the reciever holes may be drilled a little out of line. Needing the gun for my upcoming hunt, he said he can throw on some leupold rings with the adjustable windage so I can use it for my hunt. I contacted browning to ask if maybe there was a batch that they were aware of that may have been messed up, and just to advised them of the issues and concerns I was having. What I got from browning was terrible customer service. As soon as I even mentioned there was a concern the receiver may have been drilled wrong, the guy on the other end raised his voice and told me that if I hadn't even put a bullet down range then don't even call him and hung up. I had the leupold rings mounted and sighted the rifle in and use it on my hunt. Awhile after my hunt, I decided I need to address this issue and I take my rifle to a different shop because the gunsmith I always use had moved out of town. So, I take my talley rings back down and have it mounted to see if we can track down the issue (this shop didn't have a gunsmith do it). and the guy comes to me and tells me that he cannot get it to bore sight and starts telling my about the torque the leupold rings were putting on the scope and that it may be a bent main tube on my scope, I get to looking at the gun and am appalled but the work. The reciever had scratches on it, the screws that hold the locking turrets on were striped. His version of how the scope elevation and windage adjustments work is completely different than how the adjustments actually work, considering you have to take the turret caps off to adjust it. That became a battle in itself with the store, because I had bought none of the stuff from them and they were trying to weasel their way out of any fault. I decided to take the gun and send the scope off to zeiss to be checked out, and the gun back to browning. My gun sat at browning for close to 3 months without hearing an update of any sort. Close to the 4 month mark I call and they say it will be pushed to the front of the line. The gun was sent in regarding the scope mounting hole alignment and the newly striped out hole from the last shop. I never hear anything from browning as far as what they have found. I just get an email from ups stating I have a delivery that is to show up in a couple days. I call browning to ask what was found or done with the rifle in regards to the issues, all I am told on the phone is that they do not keep any record of what was performed on the gun or parts used, I was told this is due to anti gun groups getting ahold of this information and use it during lawsuits. I sure would like to know what was done. All I'm told is there will be something in the box. So I wait for my gun to get back to see what was done. To my surprise, I pull the gun out and take a peek at the reciever to see anything was changed, only to see it is the same reciever with two new wear marks of it from whatever the gunsmith did. The paper in the box only says it was shot for accuracy and has a target with 3 bullet holes. It only has listed the bullet info and the scope info. Nothing about my scope ring issue was addressed. I contact browning today and am meet with the same terrible customer service and am told that they don't have any info on what was done and that when an x-bolt comes back with the concerns of sighting in, it has always been because the wrong rings were used. I was told there are 3 different rings, long, short, and super short. I was told I need to order rings from them for my gun based on the serial number. I look back through all my info, the Talley rings which were used are compatible with the short action I have. I know the initial gunsmith I always used is very intelligent and he swapped multiple rings on to it and it didn't work. Right now I am at a loss of my next step. I'm concidering the idea of sending it to a guy that is about 4 hours from me that has built a friend custom guns in the past and having him go through it. At this point I am pretty much over this gun, and on that note, will never deal with browning again. Does anybody have any advise on my next step?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

If it was my rifle,I would trade it in and buy a different brand!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would send it to Browning and ask them to mount the scope & bore sight the rifle.

You are willing to pay for all of that, but you expect them to stand behind the rifle and the mounting and bore sighting.

Ship it back to you with a proofing target.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:46 AM
Spike

I had the same issue with a TC muzzle loader. I put a Nikon I took off another rifle (no issues there) and put it on the TC. No good. Take it to gunsmith who said tap holes off. I had 2 other scopes on it with no problems. I talked to TC and they say send it in. I listened to all gunsmith reasonings and took it home and ordered the Burris Signature Rings with inserts. Put it on my self and DONE.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I would send it to Browning and ask them to mount the scope & bore sight the rifle.

You are willing to pay for all of that, but you expect them to stand behind the rifle and the mounting and bore sighting.

Ship it back to you with a proofing target.
I did not even consider doing this. This makes perfect sense because if they can't get it to bore sight then there is obviously a problem that they have to address. Thanks for the great insight.