Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Let's talk rifles, would like some opinions.. >

Let's talk rifles, would like some opinions..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Let's talk rifles, would like some opinions..

Old 03-08-2004, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default Let's talk rifles, would like some opinions..

I am trying to decide which caliber and action to buy next. For the last couple of weeks i was thinking a Marlin 336 30.30 lever. But if i can have any caliber, i just decided against it. So i was looking for something a little more pleasant to shoot at the range than my 30.06 but strong enough for deer sized game. Kind of interested in a lighter weight rifle too with a good caliber to match the lighter weight. That being said, i am interested in a pump action as well. I currently have a Model 70 Winchester that is bolt action.

Another consideration is the availability of ammo for this gun. I don't really want to get something that i have to pay $25 a box for or travel to somewhere special to get it.. I know this is a tall order (maybe) but i am looking for opinions. I was thinking about 7mm-08 or some type of short action caliber. I am not really interested in any of the new "fads" of short magnums. Trying to find something that is tested and has been around for a while. Any ideas? Caliber and/or Gun ?

I have my 30.06 (Winchester model 70)
Old 03-08-2004, 07:36 AM

Default RE: Let's talk rifles, would like some opinions..

I have a 336 in 35 remington and a 7600 in 308. Like both although they are not my primary go to rifles. The 7600 gets little respect but I have found it to be as accurate as any M700 I've owned.

That being said, I looked heavily at the 7mm-08 in a bolt action not that long ago. I live in rural Maine and ammo selection was an issue. bascially there was no place to get any without either a long drive or mail order. Turned me off of that cartridge. If you can get the ammo, I think it would be a great choice.

I think there are a number of rifles out there that fit your needs. Remington M7s, Savage, Ruger etc. I'd look into something like that in 308. Would be significantly different that your 06 but will have less recoil. Just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:23 AM

243 Winchester. $10-12 a box at Walmart, flat shooting, good range, light recoil, and doubles as a varmint rifle with lighter bullets.

I love mine, it fills the nitch between the .223 and 308, 300Mag.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Tikka T3 Lite in a caliber like 270 Win would be a great choice.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:43 AM

I would take a look at a 25.06. It is a pleasant shooting guns with plenty of knock down power for deer.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

If your looking for a pump action rifle, Remington makes the 243 in thier Pump rifle. Also 308 and 270. If you want to step down a size or two for shooting at the range the 243 would be the ticket in a pump. You could go to the Ruger All Weather synthetic stainless bolt gun and get the 260 or 6.5x55 swed. Both are mild kickers but deliever the goods for game up to elk. The Model 7 Remington is a light weight rifle and comes in the excellent 7mm08 which was mentioned above. Another caliber mentioned already is the 25-06 although I don't think that they are a big step down in recoil. They are not bad but its a pretty good size cartridge. Check on the available calibers in the different companies light weight rifles. The Encore rifle is pretty light and comes in almost every caliber there is and would give you the option of a hunting handgun with inter changable barrels. Confused Yet?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your case has .243Win written all over it...or if you don't mind a little more power/recoil, .270Win. If given the choice for a deer only rifle I'd go with the .270, but if I wanted to have a more multi-purpose rifle for both deer and varminting, as well as a rifle that would be pleasant to shoot on the range, the .243Win might be better.

Another to consider would be the .25-06.

Mike
Old 03-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm a big fan of the 7mm-08. If you want a light weight gun then a short action shell like the 7mm-08 will fit that bill. It has very light recoil compared to your 30-06 which fits well with your request that it be pleasent to shoot at the range. Its a very flat shooter. Great sectional density and ballistic coefficient. Its available in a wide selection of rifles. And it is absolute hot death on whitetails. I know Portage says the he had trouble with ammo availability in rural Maine but I live in "very" rural Alabama and my local Wal-mart keeps 7mm-08 in stock year round. Winchester super X power points in 140 grain are 13 $ a box. They also stock 140 grain Remington Corelocks. The local sporting goods stores also stock those two choices along with 139 gr Hornady light magnums, Remington 120 gr hollowpoints (which would be a heck of a varmit round) Federal 140 gr nosler partitions and 140 gr ballistic tips. You can check your area but if I have access to that many options within 10 minutes of PINE HILL, Alabama then I don't think availability will be problem for most people.

If you want a gun that you can shoot all day at the range without needing a chiropractor at the end of the day yet is still powerful enough to kill the biggest whitetail on earth then this is a caliber to consider.

As for guns? Well Browning offers this caliber in A-bolt and A-bolt micro hunter, BAR and BLR rifles. Remington offers it in a model 7 and its mountain rifle. Winchester offers it in Model 70 and Model 70 classic featherweight. Ruger offers it in a Model 77 compact rifle. All of these would be realitively lightweight chambered for a short action shell.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:00 AM

Tikka T3, 25-06. That should fill the bill real nice.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I being from Montana would make my choices by the terrain I hunt,
IMO my choices would be
1.25-06
2.7mm-08
3.260 rem
4.243 or 6mm
These calibers in about any rifle you wan't,I'm a big fan of the 25-06 and 7mm-08.

Quick Reply: Let's talk rifles, would like some opinions..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.