HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk rifles, would like some opinions..
Old 03-08-2004, 07:16 AM
semi
Typical Buck

Default Let's talk rifles, would like some opinions..

I am trying to decide which caliber and action to buy next. For the last couple of weeks i was thinking a Marlin 336 30.30 lever. But if i can have any caliber, i just decided against it. So i was looking for something a little more pleasant to shoot at the range than my 30.06 but strong enough for deer sized game. Kind of interested in a lighter weight rifle too with a good caliber to match the lighter weight. That being said, i am interested in a pump action as well. I currently have a Model 70 Winchester that is bolt action.

Another consideration is the availability of ammo for this gun. I don't really want to get something that i have to pay $25 a box for or travel to somewhere special to get it.. I know this is a tall order (maybe) but i am looking for opinions. I was thinking about 7mm-08 or some type of short action caliber. I am not really interested in any of the new "fads" of short magnums. Trying to find something that is tested and has been around for a while. Any ideas? Caliber and/or Gun ?

I have my 30.06 (Winchester model 70)