Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Danger of gun blow up. What models >

Danger of gun blow up. What models

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Danger of gun blow up. What models

Old 09-30-2016, 04:11 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wingbone
You guys are scaring her.
Aside from the possibility of a damascus barreled shotgun, any modern firearm in good condition, fired with the correct intended ammunition is not going to spontaneously explode.
That said, a list of the makes and models would put the speculation to rest.

Well said, Wingbone!
Old 09-30-2016, 04:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
You guys are scaring her.
Aside from the possibility of a damascus barreled shotgun, Any modern firearm in good condition, fired with the correct intended ammunition is not going to spontaneously explode.
That said, a list of the makes and models would put the speculation to rest.
i think that is why she posted..not being sure about the history and condition of the guns. What you say might be correct but if there was a "rumor" that one or more might have a problem and she isn't experienced enough to understand guns a trip to a smith is good insurance and piece of mind. All guns can fail due to wear and or neglect. Just last year I was skeet shooting with a neighbor and he had an older side by side 12 ga shotgun given to him as an inheritance from his dad. He loaded and thankfully was using safe gun control and when he closed the action one barrel went off without warning. Upsetting for both he and I but things like that happen.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some specific blocks of serial numbers of military .30-06 rifles are prone to failure during firing, especially with high power cartridges. Some old Mauser rifles are prone to failure. I don't know if the failure mode can harm the shooter or just ruin the rifle.

Old shotguns (here we are talking pre-1980 manufacture) are not suitable for firing with steel shot. They were designed to shoot lead shot which is malleable. Shooting steel shot in an older shotgun barrel may damage the barrel, though it would probably not result in catastrophic failure that would injure the shooter.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
...she isn't experienced enough to understand guns a trip to a smith is good insurance and piece of mind. ...
Totally agree. That would fulfill the "in good condition" part of my statement. That's the best advise we can give her.