Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Inheritance from my grandfather >

Inheritance from my grandfather

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Inheritance from my grandfather

Old 09-26-2016, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Inheritance from my grandfather

Hey guys. I never mentioned it here, but my grandfather passed away towards the end of July. He was an outdoorsman almost from birth, and he hunted the country more times and took more head of game than I could even begin to recount. As you might expect, he had quite a few firearms in his safe. Well, long story short, I picked up my inheritance recently. I would have posted this sooner, but I've been busy with work, school, and life in general and haven't had much time for photography. Anyway, here's what he left me.

S&W 38 Special. I don't know what model it is exactly, but I bet it would make a good CCW. It came with a holster and several 50 round boxes of ammunition.

Colt Model 80 - 45 ACP. This will make a good carry gun if I can find a way to keep it hidden. Plus, I'm hoping to eventually get a 460 Rowland conversion kit so it can be both a hunting and defensive handgun. It came with three magazines and four boxes of ammunition.

S&W Model 1086 - 10mm Auto. I initially thought this might make a compact, yet potent hunting handgun. Unfortunately, it's double-action only. I think it's a bit too powerful for defensive carry, too. It came with two magazines and three boxes of ammunition.

A pair of Ruger Blackhawks. The one on the right is a 357 Magnum, and the one on the left is a mag-na-ported 41 Magnum. These two will make a great pair of belt guns in case a close range shot presents itself. The only issue will be having to choose just one to take hunting with me. They both came with a few boxes of ammunition and a holster.

In addition to the five handguns, he also left me a few rifles as well.

Remington Model 742 Woodsmaster - 30-06 Springfield. It came with several boxes of ammunition, two 5-round magazines, and a 10-round magazine.

Remington Model Seven - 260 Remington. It came with several boxes of ammunition.

Ruger M77 Mark II - 223 Remington.

Weatherby Mark V Deluxe - 300 Weatherby Magnum. This is the rifle my grandfather used on almost every big game hunt he went on out west and in Alaska. I couldn't even begin to recount the number of game animals he took with this rifle. Unfortunately, he shot it so much that the rifling in the barrel has severely eroded, and now it won't shoot well at all. I tried everything I could to improve its accuracy, but the best my dad and I could manage was a 2" group at 50 yards. Someday, I'm going to get it rebarreled and take it hunting one more time.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a shame about the pretty Weatherby. I have a tendency to get pretty good deals with Shilen on barrels. If you want, I'll have a little chat and see what we could get ya a barrel all purdied up for it. Sporter taper would probably suit that bugger up just perfect.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful inheritance, man. No doubt those guns will be cherished.
The Model Seven looks like an incredibly durable rifle.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice. Sorry for the loss of your Grandfather. Mine has been gone for years and I miss him greatly.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

What wonderful treasures to enjoy and remember your cherished grandfather.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Throw a new barrel on the 300wby if it really is shot out,

You could easily just add a new barrel in, 300wby, 340wby, 6.5-300wby.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

OHHHHH 6.5-300wby sounds like a winner there! Lotta fantastic 6.5 bullet choices out there with good BC for downrange performance.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

I thought about a 6.5-300 Weatherby barrel, but I don't know how long it would take to burn out. I probably wouldn't shoot it all that often, though.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it would be a pretty short life barrel but as you say, it's not like you would be benching it a whole lot. A good quality barrel in 6.5-300wby would probably get you 3000-5000 rounds (rough guestimate) as long as you weren't seriously hot rodding the loads. Maybe more. I had around 3200 through my old 6.5-300 win mag before I sold it and it still looked very good in the throat and rifling. BUT I was always VERY diligent in my loads and I fire formed all cases for it. I also set the jump VERY close since it liked that the best anyway.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for your loss. I know the feeling all too well myself. Great collection of weapons passed on down to remember papa from!!! And that 10mm being in DAO not a carry weapon? Why not? makes you practice your trigger control more!!!! Besides, its like a condom in your wallet, better to have it when you need it, then need it and not have it. Will save the day either way!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.