Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
ruger guidegun >

ruger guidegun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ruger guidegun

Old 05-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Spike

Default ruger guidegun

anyone own the ruger guide gun i would like to hear some reviews on this rifle from owners as i plan on buying one this summer
Old 05-24-2015, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Do a web search for Ruger guide guns and there are several reviews to read.

Here is one from Dec 2013 of a 30 06 model.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-738592.html

Al
Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

What specifically do you want to know about the Guide Guns?

The sights are basic, nothing fancy, but very well constructed and durable.

The stock, while quite comfortable, conveniently adjustable for LOP, and well designed to manage recoil, is ugly than the north side of a southbound bobtail mule. Easily replaced, however, although that adds expense and gives up the LOP adjustability.

The Ruger M77/Mark II/Hawkeye platform isn't the best for precision but they're more than sufficient for hunting. My Guide Gun is a sub-MOA to 1MOA rifle from the bench, although I don't shoot it there much, and I've only played with the Hornady DGX factory rounds so far.

The shorter barrel of the guide gun is very handy, and well balanced. Gives up a little in terms of maximum horsepower, but it's really not bad.

The Ruger integrated ring mount and Ruger rings are one of the more solid mounting platforms for heavy recoil rifles.

It's kinda surprising that none of the Ruger Guide Guns have extra recoil lugs. I have greater faith in the durability under recoil of the laminated stocks than the African Rifle walnut stocks (American Walnut and 4,000ft.lbs.+ don't mix). I inletted the tang area slightly on mine, and will be bedding with devcon steel to help reduce risk of cracking.

I bought my Guide Gun as a "benchmark" for a couple rifle projects, so I probably won't be keeping it long, but I'm fairly fond of this .416Ruger cartridge, so I might hang onto it.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Spike

thanks you covered what i was looking for and i am getting the 416 ruger also
Old 05-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tanoose1
thanks you covered what i was looking for and i am getting the 416 ruger also
I hope the answer will be yes, but: Do you reload?

My major concern with the 416 Ruger is and forever will be the longevity of the round. There seems to be a very strong following for the 375 and 416 Ruger currently, but they're new enough that this could change quickly and irreparably. These things seem to come and go in waves, and they're slow enough to have major impacts on those of us that own the rifles. There have been eras where the 416RM was favored and Rigby brass was hard to find, then the Rigby was "rediscovered," then the next 5-8yrs saw good Rigby brass availability, but the opposite for the Rem Mag. The demand curve for these rifle is low enough volume that when they "slow down," they're basically extinct.

So if you do reload, buy your brass now. I have a set big enough such that if I get at least 5rnds out of each piece, it'll last my lifetime plus my son's (unless he has WAY higher tolerance for mid-bore recoil than I do!).

If you DON'T reload for .416Ruger, then you're a lot richer than I am, and in that case, buy all of your AMMO now. Else, start reloading or find a buddy that can reload for you.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have one in 45-70, I shoot Hornady leverevolution cartridges in it. I have killed 4 deer and 6 hogs with it and I hope to kill many more. It shoots well to POA and I do not find the recoil any more objectional than my . Mod 88 whichester in .308. I will not part with mine. It is BTW, a Marlin prior to Remington taking the manufature of tem over.
Oldtimr, this thread is about the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Guide Gun, not the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun.

The M77 Hawkeye Guide Gun is a stainless bolt action with a lamo camo laminated stock, open sights, and adjustable LOP, with shorter, good handling barrels, and only chambered in a select few cartridges, primarily magnum and Safari magnum cartridges, plus a few others like 30-06. Basically it's the next generation of the Ruger Alaskan rifle.

Of course, the Marlin 1895 Guide Gun is a 45-70 lever gun, available blued or stainless.

Either of which are suitable for any game on earth, given the right cartridge, load, bullet, and shooter.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I reckon I need my eyes checked. I guess I saw guide gun and overlooked the make. I will make it go away. As Roseann Roseannadana used to say, "Never Mind".

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-01-2015 at 10:37 AM.