Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Sighting Rifles >

Sighting Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting Rifles

Old 12-21-2002, 09:17 PM

Default Sighting Rifles

What methods do you use to sight in your rifles? Also what products do you use etc.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sighting Rifles

I sight them in at our local range off a concrete bench and use sandbags under the front and back of the stock.I fire a three shot group at 100 yards and adjust the scope to move the point of impact to the desired position.I fire another three shot group once the bartrel is fully cooled and recheck zero.If the point of impact is correct I let the barrel cool fully and fire a three group at 200 yards.If you never intend to shoot farther than 200 yards your rifle is now sighted in.In my case I repeat this sequence out to 500 yards so that I know the actual trajectory of my cartridge and not just what the manual says it should be.Make sure that your gun is sighted in using exactly the same ammo that you will hunt with.(same brand,bullet style,weight,etc)
Old 12-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I fire a shot at 25 yards to hit the center dead on then take a three shot group at 100 yards. The next part works best if you can lock down the gun. With the gun locked in position, crosshairs on the point of aim, with out moving the gun adjust the cross hairs below the point of impact that you want your bullets to strike the target. IE: cross hairs two inches lower than the group will put you two inches high. You should be sighted in but shoot another group to make sure.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:00 AM

Justin,
I start at 25yds to get on paper. Then I move to 100yds and adjust for elevation, and minor windage adjustment. Usually I sight all my rifles to hit about 2-3" high @100yds. Since all I have access to is a 100yd range. I shoot 5 shot groups to check for accuracy.
As for equipment I use a Hart front rest with an owl ear bag, Protecktor rabbit ear bag, and plenty of talcum powder. I let the rifle slide in the bags with the recoil. Never had much success with locking type gun vises. As soon as funds are available I'm trading my rabbit ear bag for a bunny ear cordura with leather bottom bag.

Rem. 222
Old 12-22-2002, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you use any type of gun vise be sure to verify the point of impact without using the vice as some vices can effect the point of impact.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:45 PM

Offhand zero and zero off the bags isnt always exactly the same either. Do some offhand shooting at the farthest range you will take a hunting shot at to verify poi.