Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Today is gonna be a fun time at the range... >

Today is gonna be a fun time at the range...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Today is gonna be a fun time at the range...

Old 02-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Today is gonna be a fun time at the range...

I put a new Pro Staff 3x9 on my 30-06 BDL yesterday and shot it with a scope for the first time. All I can say is WOW! It dearly loves the 150 gr Federal hi-shoks. I have tons of 06 ammo here so i have 7 different groups of 3 to try today. Different makes and weights. Got all of the big 3 in weights of 150,165 and 180.

Also shot some Nosler solid bases out of the 7-08....first reloads for the 08...looked very very promising. Initial testing had groups as tight as its beloved core lokts. Its a middle of the road mild load though.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Today is gonna be a fun time at the range...

Darn you DD. Right now its 18 below zero here. It only got up to minus six for a high today. I went to The range for about an hour day before yesterday to rattle a few shots through the new Glock 22. It was only Zero that day. In the last month, the temp has never got up past 18 degrees. I just checked the forecast and they say minus 29 for tonight.

Still in the ^#^# wheel chair.[:@]
Old 02-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in the same situation as JamesB. It never got above -3 today, my woodburner in my shop got a good workout today while I wrenched on snowmobiles for 8 hours.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i can see why people love the ol 06. I shot 7 different loads and none of them went over 2 inches. Most were 1-1.5 and the last one I shot which was a 18 year old box of 180 corelokts shot 3 touching. I killed my first buck with a shell from that same box. The 180's have some pretty darn good kick out of that gun but the 150's werepretty mild.

On another note..the 7-08 doesnt really care for R-19.....51 gr. and we have hard extraction....thats 2 grains under max. Accuracy was bout 2 inches. That 7-08 has a very tight chamber so I dunno if it was primers (Fed 210) or what..but you wont sneak a hot load in that thing...lol.

Today is the first day we have had over 35 in 2 months..lol. However thats a big difference from below zero. Hang in there hopalong it'll get better You gonna have to be healed to guide me when I go muley hunting this year.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

DD. I will either be healed or riding a four wheeler by this next season. I don't suppose I will ever walk like I used to. I can hunt with a four wheeler with the right permit. Its been a long haul already. Its hard to beat the old 06. They are not fussy about loads like some calibers. TryRE-15 in the 7MM-08, H414 might work well too.

Rammer. I ques winter finally remembered us big time.Its up to 10 below already this morning.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah its up to a whopping -8 here today. Might have to do something stupid like go ice fishing with the warm spell [:-]
Old 02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wimps. You guys must not be wearing the correct hat.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Must not be.. My wife and I went out for Breakfast Saturday morning and the place was really busy. I told her it must be that it was such a nice day. It was only -4 and no wind. Close to shorts weather in ND.. Its back to -20 now.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its 8 degrees and snowing here in the extreme southern...West Virginia. It was in the 50's yesterday when i was shooting [:@]How the hell do you guys stand to live there? Are the walls 4 foot thick on the houses or what?