Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Gonna try black powder 1st time. >

Gonna try black powder 1st time.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gonna try black powder 1st time.

Old 10-21-2002, 12:23 AM

Default Gonna try black powder 1st time.

I have access to my dad's old hawkens 50cal. Can I use pyrodex pellets and the new barnes bullets? I think he allways only used ball and patches back in the day. My dad said he has never used the new modern sstuff we have availiable for muzzleloaders today so he couldn't help much in that area. Can someone recommend how many grains what bullets for deer, elk etc.

It would be a great help.

Kirk
Old 10-21-2002, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gonna try black powder 1st time.

You say old Hawken but you don't say which or how old. If it is an old T/C Hawken and in good shape (and is a percussion ignition, not flint) I see no reason you couldn't try two pellets and the Barnes sabots. But, I don't think they will do well and would not be the best choice for starters in any event. Pellets are harder to ignite and you would likely suffer more failures than if were you using loose. And loose is a whole lot cheaper. You could practice more!

I would be thinking in terms of about 75 grains of loose 2F grade Triple7 or 90 grains of Pyrodex RS behind a T/C Maxi-ball or similar conical. You can use speedloaders and have all the speed you need for a reload (rarely is speed of reload an issue ).

And if your Dad got good results with the rifle using patched ball and loose powder, why wouldn't you? He may not be up to snuff on these newer powders and gadgets, but I'm sure he can pass along a lot of useful and relevant information.

Edited by - Underclocked on 10/21/2002 06:38:19
Old 10-21-2002, 08:39 AM

I would try the patched round ball first. then if that works for you,you can try others. the pellets will most likly not fire,some will but most want.it doesn't get enough spark down the channel to set it off.
The T/C hawken I have,I use 90 grains loose pyrodex,behind a maxie ball. works great for me.

try different one's and see which works best for you. that is the fun part. playing with the new gun(to you anyway)and have fun!!!

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't try pellets in a side-lock ML, they will be more trouble than they're worth. When I had my Hawken I shot the lighter Hornady Great Plains HP's over 90 grains of Goex FFg. Just make sure that you lean the rifle toward the lock and tap the left side to move some powder into the elbow before you load the bullet. This will help insure quick and reliable ignition.

For hunting I'd even go as far as taking the nipple out after the rifle is loaded and putting a pinch of powder into the elbow that way. My dad missed a chance at a BEAUTIFUL 10 pointer because his White Mountain Carbine went pop instead of BOOM! Don't make that mistake.

I shoot inlines now (instant ignition every time, no more pop...BOOM!'s). I prefer my Knight and Traditions inlines so much I gave the Hawken to my brother.

Good luck and have fun,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 10-31-2002, 05:57 AM

I have hunted with a T/C hawkin for years!
My only 2 mis-fires occured at the range and were
my fault! I use 90 grn of fffg behind the 370 grn maxi ball NOT
maxi hunter GREAT performance!
I would NEVER place powder in the bolster (elbow)
I can cause it to foul and should always remain clear.
Pellets would not be a good idea.

Old 10-31-2002, 02:53 PM

Thanks. I'll take your advice and keep it "old school" with the Hawkens. When I said old I meant about 20 years or so. It is a beautifull peace though.

I want to get my own BP rifle. Can anyone make some recommendations as far as most bang for the buck. I really like the the encore. I would like to be able to switch from a .50 to a .45 for different seasons not to mention the ability to switch to a shotgun during Turkey season. Can I get it in the camo with stainless? What type of scope would you recommend when I'm out in the open. I mostly hunt in the thick stuff but would like to get out in the desert with the .45.

Yep boys, just going to keep it BP and arrows from now on. I like that extra challenge.

Kirk
Old 10-31-2002, 05:47 PM

NotaVeg-Your on the right track....Bows and Smokepoles....OH YEA !!

I have a Rem 700 ML,And really enjoy it.Heck i sold my slug barrel.The ML shoots way better.At 100 yds i can enlarge the first hole i put in the target.Theres a confidence builder for ya!!
I shoot Hornady XPT's out of mine.heres a pic of the bullet recovered from a elk i shot with mine

It did it's job well.

Good Luck with picking out your ML,There are a lot of good ML's on the market.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!
Old 10-31-2002, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

90 grains of 2F, .490 roundball, .015 prelubed patch.

Wipe out the barrel well and snap 3 caps before you load your rifle.
Point the end of your barrel at a blade of grass when you snap your caps to see if the breech plug channel is clear.

Try this at the range first. It should be OK. Have fun.