Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning a-Bolt .300 WSM disassembly >

Browning a-Bolt .300 WSM disassembly

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning a-Bolt .300 WSM disassembly

Old 01-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Browning a-Bolt .300 WSM disassembly

Does anyone have a .pdf or other instructions on how to disassemble (and reassemble) the A-bolt itself? The manual that came with my Browning stainless Steel Stalker (.300 WSM) is pretty anemic, and they stated in the manual that if the bolt needs clening or servicing, send it in to them or a gunsmith. I am well versed in firearm disassembly, however this is my first A-bolt and I am completely unfamiliar with it.

Kindest regards,

-Wil in Maryland
Old 01-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Browning a-Bolt .300 WSM disassembly

Owners Manuals
Old 01-13-2007, 11:59 AM
bigcountry

Takes apart the same way a 700 bolt does. The bad part is, it doesn't have that little cutout to put a dime or something to hold back the spring. You need a special tool that browning has or specialized service shops that will go in and hold the spring tention until you can screw off the holder.

I used to worry about it, but don't anymore. Just don't pour gobs of oil in it every month. In fact just wipe it down with an oily cloth. I have taken apart 700bolts and others that were fairly old, and you would think someone put bearing grease in there, with the years of different owners, and various types of oils with the fouling and dirt gunking it up. I don't know why folks insist on pouring one ounce of oil into every working part.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:33 AM

The manuals that you posted do show the bolt parts, but nothing in the manual instructs one on HOW to take the bolt apart.

Kindest Regards,

-Willin Maryland
Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Takes apart the same way a 700 bolt does. The bad part is, it doesn't have that little cutout to put a dime or something to hold back the spring. You need a special tool that browning has or specialized service shops that will go in and hold the spring tention until you can screw off the holder.
Do you have a manual that you can post which would demonstrate the 700 bolt disassembly? I do not have a 700, and need the instructions if you have them.

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 01-14-2007, 06:51 AM

Don't worry about it, too much, unless you have been hunting in adverse conditions, or, are having problems with the firing pin, just leave it alone. IMHO
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: willtill

Do you have a manual that you can post which would demonstrate the 700 bolt disassembly? I do not have a 700, and need the instructions if you have them.

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
No, most owners manuals will not describe how to take thier bolt or trigger assembly apart. They don't want you too, and most people shouldn't. Just the 700 bolt is commonly known how too. The Sako 75 will however show you how, because you don't need special tools or vices.

For the 700, use the vise to get the spring compressed, and you will see a notch at the back. Put a dime in there to hold it. Unscrew to the body, and your done.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Dominant Buck

The manuals that you posted do show the bolt parts, but nothing in the manual instructs one on HOW to take the bolt apart.

Kindest Regards,

-Willin Maryland
The manuals I posted are for Browning's not Remingtons!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:34 AM
bigcountry

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
Will, I have seen gunsmithing books that show the disassembly. I will have to look for them. Go to brownells.com and start. I will ask my gunsmith if he can suggest anything.