Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Anyone own a Ruger 77/50? >

Anyone own a Ruger 77/50?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Anyone own a Ruger 77/50?

Old 01-18-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Anyone own a Ruger 77/50?

I'm looking for opinions from owners who have owned or have used a Ruger 77/50 muzzleloader. I just bought one at a local gun show before I could research it because I felt the price was too good to turn down. So I'm looking for both likes and dislikes with this rifle. I've also posted this request in the black powder forum with more details on the rifle I bought but I'm trying to grab as many Ruger 77/50 owners / users that I can for their opinions whether good or bad.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone own a Ruger 77/50?

Yes I do own one. I am the only person I know that has one too! I bought mine the second year they came out, 1998 I think. Mine is blued/ walnut.
Man do I love mine, I did however convert it to 209 with a kit from a company in France (I think). I do not use pellets, so with weighing every charge, I have found that my gun loves 80 gr of 777 with a 240 gr T/C bullet. I can shoot about 1.5" groups with it. I am so confident in my Ruger, that I would carry it over many of my rifles, and definalty over a shotgun. I have a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10 on mine, and am accurate out to about 150-175 yards, if something comes in my range, I dont miss with it. I cannot say enough good things about my 77/50 except that I wished I would have waited one more year until they brought out the stainless/ laminate, man thats a pretty gun.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:00 AM

Thanks mossy33oak. I've seen several of your inputs on various subjects and they seem to be right on the money. I even referred back to you on one issue regarding someone buying a Ruger #1. Ruger has an outstanding reputation and makes a fine rifle as well as handguns. That is probably the main reason I bought the 77/50 without having the time to research it. Our gun shows are two day shows and I usually go on the first day and have the time to research something I like then go back on the second day to make an offer if they still have it. However, a broken ankle only allowed me the one day and I had to act fast since the next show isn't until March. I didn't even know Ruger made muzzleloaders until I saw this one. I saw it was an M77 style and I couldn't figure out why the barrel was so big until I examined it and found it was a muzzleloader. The only other reason I hesitated for awhile was it is a right handed bolt and I'm a Southpaw. But I figured I'd only get one shot anyway and I really liked where the safety was located making it extremely accessible to my left thumb which I use on all of my rear tang saftey firearms anyway. This Ruger was new in the box, unfired, has a black composite stock, stainless steel, came with Ruger stainless scope rings, #11 nipple, a lock, and the guy had the 209 conversion kit included. And you are correct, the kit is made in France since the instructions are in two languages with one being what looks like French to me. I got every thing for $225.00 because the guy said Ruger has discontinued making muzzleloaders and he didn't want to get stuck with it. He also had two others in wood, one having a straight stock while the other had a curved stock similiar to a mini-14 that were even better deals but I wanted stainless and they were blued.

Thanks again
Old 01-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh by the way, Im a southpaw too!! and yes the 3 position safety is perfect for just "flipping" with your thumb when you need it. Man you got a heck of a deal I paid like $350 for mine. I wonder if that guy has anymore?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Graveyard you stole that M-77/50.I have the exact one you bought at the show.I've had mine for a couple- three years now.I'm ashamed to say it but I haven't fired it yet.I have a scope mounted and I have never made the time to go to the range.I bought it to be my primary BP hunting rifle when I got a deal on a used Knight Disc.I like the Knight so much I decided to keep using it during our BP season.I do have a friend who has a standard blued and walnut. He swears by it. In fact he was who told me to get mine.If I had known I would be using my Knight I would have gotten the officers model. That's a fine looking rifle. I heard of these 209 conversion kits for the Ruger's. I ordered incase you don't know a couple of the breech plugs for the musket caps.Ruger sells them as a option. That was before I heard of the 209 conversion.That's the first I heard that Ruger was dropping the M-77/50's.I'm going to have to see what they know about it on the Ruger forum.I think the 77/50 would have been more popular if more people saw them. I've looked at many of the shooter suppliers and never see them. I was at BassPro a couple years ago. I asked. No they don't carry Ruger's BP rifles.I found that strange since they carry other Ruger's.I hope one of these days I can try mine out.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-19-2005, 06:19 PM

I have to agree with you on their anonymity Ruger Redhawk. Obviously Ruger did not sell them to your usual large chain outlets but rather to pro shops. They have been around since 1997 and last Sunday was not only the first time I've seen one but it was also the first time I've ever knew they existed until then. AND I have been looking at a lot of in-lines in the past year, too. The more I learn about the Ruger the more I like it despite the great deal I got.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still not positive if Ruger is dropping the M-77/50. I asked on the Ruger forum.One reply saying he never heard that but looked in a Ruger 05 catalog. They aren't in there.That's strange since they are still shown on Ruger's site.I haven't located a new catalog to see for myself.I think these Ruger's would have sold well if the were seen and advertised as much as say Knight and T/C to name a couple.I can see not selling them at discount chains but Bass Pro , Cabela's or Shooter Suppliers not selling them is very odd to me.Cheaperthandirt had them a few years back. They appear to be a extemely well made rifle like all of Ruger's products.Years ago Browning introduced a Muzzleloading rifle cap lock. It was call the Jonathan Browning. It didn't last long on the market.I had one and wasn't impressed at all with it.The lock parts were constantly working loose.I traded it off.
Ruger does know what they are doing in the Firearm industry. Apparently they weren't selling enough of these to make it worth their while keeping them in production.If indeed they are dropped I might never fire mine keeping it NIB.Now I see where Ruger is making a Super Redhawk called the 'Alaskan". Either chambered in 454 Casull(45 Colt) or the 480 Ruger catridge.Hummmm? a 2 1/2"barrel that will feel like a bomb going off in your hand.They will come with Hogue Monogrips.Can't imagine why LOL.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-22-2005, 05:22 PM

I hear ya Ruger-Redhawk. My 44 magnum is a much as I want to handle in my Contender or my Ruger. There is a guy on this forum, T/C fan, who uses a 45/70 in a Contender. I called him "da Man" for shooting that but anyone who shoots a 480 Ruger would be DA MAN! Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

I still haven't confirmed if Ruger is dropping them or not either. I've sent Ruger a request for a serial number history on my rifle to find out exactly what year is was made and I also asked them the discontinued question. I'll let you know what I hear.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

To save yourself the trouble in the future.Without having to contact Ruger about S/N's & when the guns were made you can find this out for yourself in a few minutes.It's very easy. go to www.ruger-firearms.com click on firearms,then on product service. You will see where it says History of serial numbers. All you'll need to know is the model of the gun and the S/N. It shows when every gun was made in that range.Of course not the exact day but the year of Mfg.Ruger added that feature to their site a couple years ago.It has been very helpful.That not only frees Ruger up from answering these questions but you have your answer right away.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-09-2005, 02:50 PM

I just ran across this forum. I have owned a M77/50 for several years and love it, well used to. Put a 209 conversion kit in it about 2 years ago and never had any more cap troubles. Got it out for deer season last November and noticed that the first time I fired it that the trigger pull was a little on the lite side. Next round, went to click the safety from half to full and the damn thing fired. After that I could never get the bolt to catch. I tried a bolt from another ruger and had the same problem. Took it apart and found that the sear was badly worn. The sear is a factory restricted part so had to send the gun to the ruger. After ruger having the gun for 4 months I get it back with letter saying that the sear damage was caused by the non-factory authorized 209 coversion kit. They replaced the sear and put back in the standard firing pin and breech plug and sent back the 209 conversion kit with the gun. They stated that they had fixed the gun this time for free but would not do so again. So anyone considering a 209 conversion kit may want to think twice about it for the 77/50.

Since I didn't have a gun for deer season I purchased a T/C Omega and I am very satisfied with it. The ruger is going up for sale.

Quick Reply: Anyone own a Ruger 77/50?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.