Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 A Real World Look at Remington's VS SF II >

A Real World Look at Remington's VS SF II

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

A Real World Look at Remington's VS SF II

Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Real World Look at Remington's VS SF II

The past couple of weeks in the bitter cold I have been playing around with Remington's 2008 version of the Model 700 VS SF ll in a .204 Ruger. It looks like this:

The picture isn't the best but you know what the VS SF ll looks like anyway .

This gun has a full length aluminum bedded block in the H.S.Precision stockto enhance accuracy, while the barrel is free floated. As you can see it has a 26 inch fluted stainless barrel with a 1 in 12 twistthat isconsidered a "heavy contoured barrel".

Topped with a Nikon Monarch 5-20X44 scope it weighs in at slightly under 11 pounds (sling included of course). While most here probably feel that is too heavy to carry around I don't have a problem with it, since I will bestationarywhen this rifle will be called to duty. I will say relative to the weight, itbalances very well for me. It doesn't give me that "barrel heavy" feeling; the weight is between my hands which I like.

Although you cannot see them in the photo it has twin front swivel studs in case one wanted to attach a bipod; an "option" I like. What I didn't like was the swivel studs were loose when the gun was purchased.

While the action perhaps is not "glass smooth" by some's standard it is very functional, not at all sloppy,and extraction followed by chambering can be pulled off without a hitch in the heat of the moment as Iproved the other night in getting a second shot off on a running coyote (unfortunately I missed...not the gun's fault; to much lead;I shot air not hair as they say[]).

When I brought the gun home the action was less than functional.In closing the bolt, itwould bind up with the top plate of the internal clip (hinged floor plate design) and prevent an unimpeded sealing of the chamber. To fix this problem I simply put pressure on the leaf spring under the top plate until it permanently held a "bend" and the plate remained level. A simple fix but neverthelessan issuethat a firearm in this class of pricing shouldn't have.

The length of pull is listed at 13 1/2"; actual measurement shows 13 5/8. Not a biggy. Funny how a thick coat makes the length of pull and eye relief on a scopea wholedifferent feeling than when you are at the range in a t-shirt or jacket.

The VS SF ll comes with Remington's "X-Mark PRO Trigger". That must be some type ofplay on wordsbecause I don't know of any Pro shooter that would use this trigger. I have shotguns that require less pull than this thing. It is true there is no travel butI would bet my last dollar the trigger pull on this thing is a minimum of six pounds perhaps more; how is that for "crisp"! I read that it can be adjusted by a "qualified gunsmith" but I am not sure I want to spend the money to do it; I might still be unhappy with this triggerafter the job is done. Right now I am leaning on putting a Jewell trigger in it.

As far as shooting goes the gun shows a world of potential. Take a look:

While this 100 yard five shot group is not in the brench rest class, there is reason to be positive. This group was shot withless than arock solid restat the same time usinga trigger that almost requires a hammer and chisel to make the gun go bang.

In case anyone is interested it was shot with 39 grainSierra BlitzKings sitting on top of 25 grains of Ramshot's TAC (Hornady brass, Winchester primer).

I bought this rifle because I got a great deal on the price (under wholesale) and I have a use for it. I suspect the less than fluid action of the gun had a lot to do with the retail cost. Once I get the trigger replaced I think it will be a great shooter, anyway forahayseed like me....

Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Real World Look at Remington's VS SF II

Just an update on the trigger issue.....

I did some research and was able to adjust the X-Mark PRO Trigger myself.Although I don't have anything to measure the actual trigger pull, Ican say that itis crisp and light, very acceptable. As good as a customtrigger I haveon another gun...

For now I am happy.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice rig and congrats!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

The reviews I have read on the new trigger have all been positive. If your gunsmith charges you more than 25 bucks to adjust a trigger for you, find a new gunsmith. The reviews have been good and you can actually buy the trigger through your gunsmith to retrofit them on your model 700. Personally All my Rems have good triggers on them, But I would like to feel one of these new ones, after they were set to 3-3.5 pounds.

I have the same gun, but its a 2006.