Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HF Hunting...."Real-World" >

HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Old 03-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Some of you may have heard I was offered a HF hunt.....free of charge, to me. I thought about it....and decided against it. Nothing :holier than thou"....just a personal decision. I cast no judgement on anyone who goes on these.

I watched it last night (promotional DVD sent to me by the owner).....and it affected me moreso than I ever dreamed it could have. They LITERALLY ride people around .....or the people walk around (in a spot nd stalk fashion) on this "Farm" to kill these giants. These absolute GIANT, maginificent lookingdeer are absolutely reduced to being an animal these folks seemingly (and literally) picked from the menu. I saw 180+ class deer.....routinely killed by people walking around.....or people riding on the back of a UTV.

It's legal....and it is what it is.....so I won't condemn it. But I never knew watching it.....seeing the fence......seeing the deer.....would affect me the way it did. These giants.....I mean AWESOME deer.....deserve(d) better. What I mean by that is.......It's like taking a magnificent wild stallion....and reducing him to pulling a toy wagon at the carnival. He was destined for greater than that.

Off of soapbox.......
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 AM

Default RE: HF Hunting...."Real-World"

HERE HERE! It's absolute travesty, IMO. And a complete misuse of a natural resource. You are 100% correct, they deserve MUCH better than that.

What I don't understand is......How can a "hunter" feel they've accomplished anything, and be proud of it?? It's not like they earned that buck. Hell, you could walk up to them and pet most of them. Anyway......
Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff,
I couldn't agree with you more. Not really hunting in my opinion, more like just shooting.
chris
Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Mobow I won't say anything about those who choose to do it. I'm talking about looking at that animal....and KNOWING if he was in the wild.....these people would NEVER, EVER even SEE him. And to top it off......there'd be 4 of these guys running together......in a row.

They'd pan from the one they THOUGHT was going to get shot.....to a bigger one....to an even bigger one.....to a giant.

It IS (on this farm) like shooting fish in a barrel.

Freakin sad to watch them (the deer).
Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not defending it at all..But keep in mind these super deer are bred for this the same as Cows and Pigs. That 180" deer would not have existed in the wild.

The ranch buys semen, they impregnate the does..It's not like they took one from your land.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know much about those type of hunts.How many acres were inside the high fenced area? Were they native deer or the kind they "transplant" from deer farms?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

Hat's off to you GMMAT!!!!!!!!!! Thats all I can say now cause the rest isn't nice.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

You do well,Grasshopper, It is all in the eye of the bow holder,

It is the "person" that does this form of killing that I so despise. There is nothing what so ever to do with hunting involved.
And for those that say its just like going to the store for meat. Why the huge horns and outlandish prices that are in direct correlation with antler size.
I call B.S.[:@]
Old 03-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, this reminds me of a video that was floating around of some outdoor celeb, it may have been Jimmy Houston but I'm not 100% sure, on a high fence hunt when you could see the deer within sight circling the fenced in area looking for a way to get out. Now, I am a hunter through and through, but seeing this actually made me feel bad for this deer. He had won and was using his natural defenses to evade and couldn't. It was sad.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Bob (GR8)....NO QUESTION you're right.

But I also look at it like when you see a trained grizzly or a circus lion. Doesn't it kinda tear you up to know what that creature is REALLY capable of? Granted....."domesticated", they are......but they're still magnificent animals.....and I autmatically picture them in their wild state.

I hope I'm being understood and don't sound foolish. I know they're "farm-raised" deer.......but they're still DEER.

Kinda like when a kid raises a wild animal and sets it free. Watching this DVD makes me wish someone could do that with these deer.

Quick Reply: HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.