Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 7 mm ultra mag, good gun? >

7 mm ultra mag, good gun?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7 mm ultra mag, good gun?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7 mm ultra mag, good gun?

well claim 3200 with a 26" barreled rum all you want, hodgdon calls a max load for the rum and a 200 gr bullet at 2910 fps, so don't think it'll do 3200 without a longer barrel.
Ridge you have got to cut me a break here. Federal lists factory 200 grain partitions at 3070 FPS and that is from a 24" barrel.That factory load could actually run close to the 3200 FPS velocity in a 26" tube, must less a handload taylored to a specific rifle.My buddychronyd 3200 with the 200 grain accubond in his 26" Krieger custom gun, and his backup savage rifleprior toour elk hunt two years ago. He loadedwith Retumbo and never saw pressure signs, that is just what shot best.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Layne Simpson of STW fame was still able to get MOA accuracy from his 7mm STW after several thousand rounds were put through it.It will serve a lifetime of hunting as long as you look after it.At the range allow the barrel to cool a full minute between shots and don't try to use it as a praire dog gun rapid firing it at pests.At least with the STW brass can be obtained from 8mm Rem Mag.If you don't reload at least pick up a set of FL dies.The 7mm Ultra Mag may last or not.If you get one squirrel away several hundred brass and you're set for life........................Harold
Actually, I have the Rifle Magizine edition with Layne talking about accuracy from 1992 (or 87??)I think. According to the article, he says, about 2K is all you can expect starting with subMOA and going down to 1.5-2MOA.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 PM

You know- if I shoot three shots through my .308 in rapid succession the barrel is hot.

What are you going to do with this rifle? Is this for hunting? If it is are you going to be shooting long range?

Do you plan on shooting a lot? Most people who hunt, have no need of a weapon that has more than a 1500 round barrel life.

If you want to discuss the full capability of this cartridge, I suggest you log onto: longrangehunting.com and register there and ask those guys. They will tune you up in a hurry on the merits of the 7mm RUM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 AM

I just read through all the threads today and sounds like you are what the doctor ordered here.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

uhh scott, anyone who owns a chronagraph knows if you can find a factory load thats within 200 fps of the published velocity it is an exception to the rule
I have not found that to be the case I typically see numbers around 50-75 fps off the advertised.

kreiger barrels, though known for outstanding accuracy, are cut rifled, cut rifled barrels are slower at higher pressure than buttonrifled barrelsand kreigersare slower than most for some reason.
I take this post aboveas you are implyingI am misleading this forum.I feel very strongly that 3200 FPS is what the 300 reaches. You quoted a velocity fromHodgdon earlier of 2910 for the 300 RUMso I know that you must have great faith in that publication unlike the Federal factory ammo. Only problem is the velocity listed in that manual is 3048 fps not 2910, and that is in a 24" barrel. Now I have learned a great deal from your barrel length in overbore caseslecture in the last postand it wouldseem 76FPS per inch in an overbore rifle to actually be quite reasonable would it not? Or are the Hodgdon numbers now bad since they dispel your premise.

You may not believe it but with overbore cartridges weather its the 7mm AM or the 300 rum, the only way to increase velocity at the same pressure is to use a longer barrel.
I think I have a handle on the effect of barrel length and velocity that is whyI questioned the barrel lengthwhen you made your orginal Allen mag velocity claim. I notice you have still notprovided thebarrel lengthto this forum.Also overbore is a relative term theAllen has a larger case andsmaller bore which makes it by definition more overbore and more dependant on barrel length.That in my opinion is a negative for that cartridge.
I do not agree with the premise "the only way to increase velocity at the same pressure is to use a longer barrel". When you increase the bore diameter the same pressure is now exerted on a larger area. This will actually increase the force exerted on a bulletthe same way ahydrolic cylinder works. That is whyyou see velocity increases in equal weight bullets as the bore diameter increasedin the 30-06 family of cases from the 25 06 to the 35 Whelen.

the only difference to 500 yards between the 30-06 and the 300 rum to 500 yards is a couple clicks on the "up" knob, so why not choose 3-4 times the barrel life and lots less expense to shoot those ranges?

Hey we agree on the above I am a big 06 fan.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Tyler15, Have you shot any full load magnum's in a standard weight rifle. You might want to consider that the recoil is going to be pretty stout. I'm try to work up a light load for my 7mm rem mag right now, because until I go elk hunting someday, I don't need the extra speed, energy, or recoil for a whitetail out to 300 yds. By the way 300 yds is a long shot on a game animal. And probably should not be attempted, if you do not practice at 200, 300, 400regularly.

Ridgerunner does practice and knows his equipment and loads quite well. I have only killed one animal at 300+ yds and it was a p-dog at 316 yds with my .243. My 3 favorite deer rifles are my .243, .308, and 35 whelen, depending on where I am hunting. The furtherest deer I have ever killed was at about 200 yds and I usually hunton the ground at the edge of wheat and alfalfa fieldsthat are anywhere from 40 to 320 acres.

Not trying totalk down the ultra mags, but a standard cartridge in a .270, 7mm08, 280, 308, 30-06 isplenty ofgun to take down deer and elk at reasonable ranges.

Will your friend let you shoot it first?By the way, ammo run $40-$50 a box. Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 AM
bigcountry

I have had 3 300RUM's, one with a krieger, and custom built, and have yet to get a 200gr bullet up to 3200fps. But then again, I will not quote hodgdon or federal. Only my own Chrono.

And I bet I have shot more 300RUM shots than anyone on this board, besides stubble. I burned out two barrels.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

the hodgdon data is from they're web site, not a manual,
Ridge that post above is a weakattempt at best to split hairs. Only problem is you are wrong again. As I had posted earlierthe Hogdon manual lists 3048 for the accubond bullet with 95.5 grains of Rutumbo. Now I resubmit my post below:

You quoted a velocity fromHodgdon earlier of 2910 for the 300 RUMso I know that you must have great faith in that publication unlike the Federal factory ammo. Only problem is the velocity listed in that manual is 3048 fps not 2910, and that is in a 24" barrel. Now I have learned a great deal from your barrel length in overbore caseslecture in the last postand it wouldseem 76FPS per inch in an overbore rifle to actually be quite reasonable would it not? Or are the Hodgdon numbers now bad since they dispel your premise.
To further use your own references to prove my point I took your advise and went to LRH these are the guys according to you "that know", apparently you feel, unlike the guys on this forum. Well guess what I found. A post specifically on 200 grain accubonds and Rutumbo powder that had 3 of 4 posted velocities reaching 3200 FPS with 26" barrels. I have the link below:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/300-rum-200-gr-ab-26590/

You know I just realized. That is the actually the same bullet and load that I referenced and your "guys that know" are also referencing the same exact load with the same results!!! Your post below was in response to my reference to that load.

well claim 3200 with a 26" barreled rum all you want, hodgdon calls a max load for the rum and a 200 gr bullet at 2910 fps, so don't think it'll do 3200 without a longer barrel.
You should perhaps send"the guys that know"a post on LRH and say they are full of BS too!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 AM
bigcountry

I got an easy way to settle this. Scott, do you have said load, with said powder, and a chronograph? Do you have a 300RUM with a 26" barrel? If not, then your sure not right either. If yes, and can prove it, then post away.

I think thier should be a rule on these pages, that if you don't have the firearm or if you have not loaded it, then don't post.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

scott, those guys are shooting min. spec chambers in custom barrels at who knows what preasures
You arestating as factthat they are min spec chambers. Minimum chamber dimensions have an effect in velocities primarily in factory ammo by slightly increasing barrel pressures. In the case of handloading this is not necessarily the case as the handloader in many loads can add 1/2 grain of additional powder in a larger dimensioned rifle and achieve the same velocity.You state that the "guysthat know" are shooting min spec chambers but you actually have no idea what their chamber dimensions are. I kinow this because the post specifically states

Remington Sendero Stainless w/ a 26" barrel, muzzle brake, and 3lb trigger
I seriously doubt that is a min dimension chamber. I think they are just full of BS like me.

Quick Reply: 7 mm ultra mag, good gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.