HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7 mm ultra mag, good gun?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Scott Gags
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7 mm ultra mag, good gun?

the hodgdon data is from they're web site, not a manual,
Ridge that post above is a weakattempt at best to split hairs. Only problem is you are wrong again. As I had posted earlierthe Hogdon manual lists 3048 for the accubond bullet with 95.5 grains of Rutumbo. Now I resubmit my post below:

You quoted a velocity fromHodgdon earlier of 2910 for the 300 RUMso I know that you must have great faith in that publication unlike the Federal factory ammo. Only problem is the velocity listed in that manual is 3048 fps not 2910, and that is in a 24" barrel. Now I have learned a great deal from your barrel length in overbore caseslecture in the last postand it wouldseem 76FPS per inch in an overbore rifle to actually be quite reasonable would it not? Or are the Hodgdon numbers now bad since they dispel your premise.
To further use your own references to prove my point I took your advise and went to LRH these are the guys according to you "that know", apparently you feel, unlike the guys on this forum. Well guess what I found. A post specifically on 200 grain accubonds and Rutumbo powder that had 3 of 4 posted velocities reaching 3200 FPS with 26" barrels. I have the link below:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/300-rum-200-gr-ab-26590/

You know I just realized. That is the actually the same bullet and load that I referenced and your "guys that know" are also referencing the same exact load with the same results!!! Your post below was in response to my reference to that load.

well claim 3200 with a 26" barreled rum all you want, hodgdon calls a max load for the rum and a 200 gr bullet at 2910 fps, so don't think it'll do 3200 without a longer barrel.
You should perhaps send"the guys that know"a post on LRH and say they are full of BS too!