HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   7 mm ultra mag, good gun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/241699-7-mm-ultra-mag-good-gun.html)

tyler15 04-10-2008 08:07 AM

7 mm ultra mag, good gun?

i am looking into buying a remington 7mm ultra mag, model 700. I recently heard some info that after about 3 shots the barrel gets really hot. also after about 50 shots the barrel starts to wear and deform.

wondering if anyone had info on this gun, if it is a good buy or not.

oldsmellhound 04-10-2008 08:55 AM

RE: 7 mm ultra mag, good gun?

My cousin has a model 700 in 7mm Remington Ultra Mag. He loves it - I know some other people that love it as well. I haven't heard of the barrel problem, but it is a very fast round so you probably have to watch that.

The thing I'd be concerned about is that the 7mm RUM is considered by many to be a flop in terms of how popular its been. Translation = if you don't reload, it may be very difficult to find ammo for it 5 or 10 years from now. That's what I've been hearing anyways.

If you don't reload, I'd recommend the plain Jane 7mm Remington Mag - you lose some velocity, but it's still a very good round and you'll alwasy be able to find ammo for it.

Pioneer2 04-10-2008 09:10 AM

Layne Simpson of STW fame was still able to get MOA accuracy from his 7mm STW after several thousand rounds were put through it.It will serve a lifetime of hunting as long as you look after it.At the range allow the barrel to cool a full minute between shots and don't try to use it as a praire dog gun rapid firing it at pests.At least with the STW brass can be obtained from 8mm Rem Mag.If you don't reload at least pick up a set of FL dies.The 7mm Ultra Mag may last or not.If you get one squirrel away several hundred brass and you're set for life........................Harold

tyler15 04-10-2008 10:35 AM

the reason im asking is because i can buy one from a friend used for one deer season, with a nikon buckmasters scope 4.5x14-40.

i was leaning more towards just buying a brand new 300 win. any good brands, i was looking at a savage at jays in michigan.

salukipv1 04-10-2008 12:10 PM

I believe the 7mm RUM would get really hot! I know guys love them, but the only RUM I hear that have made it are certainly the 300 RUM, and the 338RUM, the 7mmRUM and 375RUM I believe are either dead or not doing well and on their way out.

Also I think the 7mm STW is more of a success than the 7mm RUM and do similar thigns....both are ultramag 7mm's.

Knowing a round is dead or dying would certainly make me think twice about buying a rifle chamberedfor it.....also if you had to sell it down the road that would be a real problem, could be.

I think the 7mm RUM would just need more spacing between shots.....in the field I wouldnt worry though how often are you gonna shoot more than 3 quickly in the feild? plenty of cooling between those times. At the range/bench I'd just take my time....

The 7mm RUM is a screamer....but the 300RUM is also a screamer, and way popular, so my choices would be a 7mm STW or a .300 RUM. I'd be cautious a bout buying a 7mm RUM.

I think a new .300 win mag might be a wiser choice. A .300 wsm or .300 RUM would also be a round to consider esp if you're buying new. If you really want that scope, try to just get the friend to sell you that. I think I'd pass on the friends rifle, can also find a scope online/rifle. Also I don't picture many shots in MICH over 500yds.....so not sure why anyone needs a RUM there, or even a .300 win mag, you may really want to consider the .270WSM or .300WSM.

Scott Gags 04-10-2008 06:49 PM

The 7mm Ultra Mags case capacity is too large for the 7mm bore in my opinion.There comes a practical limitto case capacity for a given caliber.A point at which the amount of powder required for small incremental increase in power/velocity is impractical.

It also can limit your bullet selection as there extreme demands placed on the bullets especially the lighter weight rounds.

If you compare the KE levels of the 300 Ultra you will of coursefind that the 300 is considerably higher. The 300 is alsojust as fastwith 150 grain factory ammopushing 3500 fps and 200 grain rounds still at 3100 fps.

If you like 7mm rounds I would go with a Rem mag, Weatherby mag or go 300 Ultra.

skeeter 7MM 04-10-2008 10:16 PM

Do you reload? If not skip the RUM's!!!! If you do reload then the RUM would be an excellent long range stick. Like Ridgerunner I agree their is little need for a RUM if your not going to be shooting 500+ routinely.

As far as heat, shoot 3 shot groups let it cool, repeat. I do this with everything but varmit rigs and rimfires. No problems. IfI can't hold the muzzle with my bare hand it is too hot to shoot! Personally I like it to come down close to ambient before shooting, when i go to the range i take several guns so that I am not rushing and keeps me busy.

In regards to barrel life,fact the first shotbegins the erosion process how longuntil a new barrel isdepends on many factors- loads (moderate, hot or ragged edge), cleaning method or lack there of any cleaning,getting it real hot, etc. True the RUMs and other high capacity powder cartsdecrease the life but even the likes ofa factory RUM it will be years for most. Re-barrel shouldn't be a source of concern any way should you really like shooting it and burn through it quicker then most. IME itleads to performance gains (assuming you buy a good one). If your looking for cheaper andsimilar performance of the factory tubes finding good take off's isn't that difficult either.

Scott Gags 04-12-2008 06:40 AM

I shoot a 7mm Allen mag, full power loads will run a 160 gr. nosler at almost 3700 fps
I assume you are running somethingclose to a30 barrell length. That has more to do with your "extreme" velocities than the Allen case. Comparing cartridges performance with a 4"-6" difference in barrel length willyield misleading results especially in 100+ grain cases.

What does a rifle like that weight?

Resqrick 04-13-2008 12:20 AM

Reloading the 7stw will duplicate or out perform 7RUM. That being said all fast new guns going in excess of 3200+ FPS are having a barrel life of 600-900 shots even lower if you dont take care of that barrel.. IMO if you want a long distance gun with decent barrel life go with.. 7mm Rem Mag 300 Win Mag 270 WSM exc they have just a pinch of better barrel life and performance is comperable to RUM... I have all of the above and 300 win mag has taken everything in North America no prob. But everyone has there preference of caliber IMO bullet placement is paramount... My grandfather takes a ELK every year with a 270 win model 70 he bought in the 50s or 60s and we have never lost one... The question of what type of gun well PRICE is the big thing.... I would go to a big gun store and feel witch gun feels like it is an extention of your body :) and fits into your price range most new guns today can shoot as well as the shooter or better. Hope this helps you some :) Happy Hunting !

Scott Gags 04-13-2008 08:27 PM

Sure scott, so put a 30" barrel on a 7 or 300 rum and check your velocities, run a 200 gr bullet at 3350-3400 fps
No thanks,I'll pass oncarryinga 50"+ long gunthat weights in the 13 poundrange for an additional 150-200 FPS.

Itseemsmore practicalto me to stick with a standard 300 RUM with 26" barrel weighting around 9-9.5 lbs and pushing a 200 grain bulletup to3200fps.

Iexpectthe RUM would actually have anedge ina 26" barrel.A round as overbore as the Allen mag, is very dependant on barrel length in order to perform. I would expect the Allen to see 50-70 + FPS losses per inch of barrel.This puts the two rounds in a dead heat. "I am still assuming that thevelocities you quoted were from a 30" barrell since you did not correct me in your post."

If my assumption about the barrel is correctit would seem the300 RUM produces equivilent or better performance from a smaller case.