Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CHIGGERS!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CHIGGERS!!!!!!

Kinda lost on these chiggers, never had em, i had sand fleas while i was in boot camp for the marine corps at Parris Island in South Carolina, but no chiggers. What exactly are they? The myth about eating a match a day is false by the way!
Old 09-08-2004, 03:55 PM

I have had a run in with them this year also here is a link with some good info
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...hopo/chiggers/
Old 09-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

keep a garbage bag at your vehicle and change your cloths as soon as you get out of the woods. if you can i would use high rubber boots when walking around in the woods. those bugs love (and i think they can detect thin skin) like your waist- ankles- and wrists so use bug dope of some kind or treat your cloths with permanone. when you get home put all of your cloths immediatly into the wash and then take a long hot shower. i use a scrub brush and soap to remove the remainder of them in the shower. i find the gold bond lotion kills the itch quickly.once bit it takes me about 2 weeks to fully recover from the bites and lumps. i tried one of those rhino skin suits but they are just too hot for me.if you keep a good routine of the above mentioned you wont get them no where near as bad. GOOD ITCHIN [&:]
Old 09-08-2004, 07:47 PM

You wanna see some chiggers,come on over to the eastern shore of Maryland.Your right they are miserable,I know folks who dont hunt early bow because of them.They wait till 1st good frost.

They clear fingernail polish does work but is time consuming when really infested with em'.After you take a shower the best thing to use is plain ol rubbing alcohol.Get it from the dollar store,buy several bottles,just pour it on your infected area and rub it in.Burns a bit but kills em quick and seems to really help with the itch.

Now I know 2 hunters who do something a bit odd but I will say that they seem to not get chiggers like I do.They may get a few bites on the belly button area but thats about it.What do they do?Well it makes for some funny times at the cabin but what they do is wear a pair of pantyhose under their camo,They tell us that the chiggers cannot get through the small mesh and it appears to work but I cant bring myself to do it.Honest to goodness true story...
Old 09-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

If you have the chiggers head to the pharmacy and look for "Chigger X". They even carry it in Walmart now. I hear its pretty new but works great on getting rid of them if you have them.

Don
Old 09-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ok i'm sure everyone is going to laugh about this but honestly i didn't know what an chigger was until i was watching the show 'blind date' lol
Old 09-09-2004, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the Liquid New Skin to cover the skin area's affected by Chiggers....... it seems to help to stop some of the itching.
Thanks for the sulphur idea info ... I will have to try it.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:57 AM

I also had my first visit by those little "Noseeums" this spring while crawling around hunting pigs. Got the Pig, 10 yards, he came under the tree where we were sitting and boy was he supprised when he saw us. Couldn't quite get a new round chambered fast enough to get a clean shot on one of his 2 buddies though. It was supposed to be my boys turn to shoot but when this guy walked in on us the whole thing lasted about 3 seconds.

Chiggers do like the most tender pieces. Deep Woods Off, be generous, does keep them at bay, it stinks so I just work the wind better.

I itched for 2 weeks but I really felt bad for my 7 year old, he must have had 30/40 bites on him. It was my own fault, but he was just along for the ride.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted Florida hogs a few years back and one of the guides and I came across a natural spring,it was hotter than heck out and we stopped for a drink,the guide told me to take it easy because I may get a belly ache from all the sulphur in the water.The guide then told me that that is the reason many of the locals are not pestered by chiggers and skeeters.When you perspire the sulphur is offensive to them.It reallyh does work.By the way many of the hogs that we harvested and dressed reaked of sulphur too[:'(]
Old 09-09-2004, 10:41 AM

here where i live chiggers are pretty bad also i can walk out in my yard and get a couple.There is this stuff that i buy called chigarid it works pretty good and its not just for chiggers.

Quick Reply: CHIGGERS!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.