Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Busted coming to full draw last night >

Busted coming to full draw last night

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted coming to full draw last night

Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 AM

Default Busted coming to full draw last night

Well I had a great hunt last night, got to the stand around 5 (hunting an Alfalfa field so they aren't there till 6:30). At about 6:20 a real good buck started making his way right to me, he was walking in an old field, just grass. I knew he was coming my way, and that he would present a shot. I stood up and waited for him. at about 50-60 yrds he picked me out, and was trying to wind me, but wind was perfect last night, and he was upwind of me. He finally forgot I was there, and kept making his way to the field. I thought he was going to walk right beside my stand at about 20 yrds, but he veered and cut to the right, and was going to circle my tree. So I decided to come to full draw while he was walking. I drew and he busted me, see you later.....****, was hands down the nicest deer I've ever seen in hunting season.

Sat the rest of the night, I nice tall 4 pnt walked right past me, and smelled my 20 yrd marker...lol, then a small Spike and decent 8 walked out...the 8 also new something was up, and when at like 15yrds perfect broad side he just decided to leave, didn't smell me, so must have picked me out of the tree too, and then a small spike walked right under me, and he also picked me out and bolted.

First night out, my buddy arrowed a good 8, and I'm thinking the deer are onto us now.

Anyways I'm wondering if my stand is too low. This was set up by my buddy, who is a crossbow hunter, so It really wasn't in the best setup for me as a bow hunter, I can't shoot from sitting down where most of the bucks seem to offer a shot, and I have to stand, its also abit low, at maybe 12-13ft. Also I don't mind having to stand, but I would typically put the stand on the other side of the tree, so at least the tree would offer some cover.

Do you think this tree is done now, should I move locations (not alot of good tree's to set up on) or should I just give it a few days, move the stand higher, and move it behind the tree?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Busted coming to full draw last night

12-13' is for sure to low in My opinion. I think about 20' is a good place to be.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would most definitely move your stand to another location if all of those deer picked you out. Something with some more cover!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 AM

On the edge of a field, no tree's to offer a lot in terms of cover were they all come in, Just not a lot of cover to be had... Not ideal, but have to make due. I could move it to a diff place, but then I am 40-50 yrds from were they typically come in, sure it has cover, but I have no shot.

I do think its too low myself, but hunting buddy doesn't think so. typically I like to be 15-16 ft at least, but I think since we've been spotted, and not much cover, I'm going to go higher in this case, and try to reposition it as well. I'll need to pick up some more Tree steps for that tho, but if Ole Freak Nasty comes back, it will be worth it.

They are both my stands, so if he doesn't like that I moved it on him too bad..haha
Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you up in a hang on stand?

If there are no other possible spots I would leave that area alone for a while so the deer can calm back down and not be so nervous when they come by. In the meantime you could put some branches up to add some cover.

Just a thought!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM

Yah its a hang on..I will be leaving it alone, simply because Next weekend is moose hunt, So I'll be gone for a week, and will prob put it up 17-18ft, and I can try some branches for added cover as well.

I am moving another stand, that has had little action today, and will hunt that for the next 2 days anyways, so this spot should have a solid 2 weeks for the deer to calm back down.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I like to be somewhere around 18-22 ft. up. Move the stand up and try puttin some cover around your base. One of those cover systems, aka branches, anything to try to break your outline up. Better yet, if you can at all, move the stand, even if its only ten yds to a different tree. Reason I say this, if that big buck knows you are in that tree, that is the first thing he is gonna look at if he is in the area. The smallest adjustments can make all the difference. Good luck bud.

Shane
Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Thanks Guys, I'll see what I can do, if I can pick out another tree that will still provide a good shot, and I'll most Deff me moving it higher. I'm a little nervous going 20ft, but I guess that's why I have a harness....

I'll let you all know how it goes.