Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Busted last night >

Busted last night

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted last night

Old 06-18-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Busted last night

Last night I took a trip out to my food plots which are in a field that boarders my honey hole. The plots look amazing but there has been no sign of the deer in it. I checked my stealth cam to see if anything had been through in the last few days and nothing had. I thought this was a little odd so I decided to take a jont through my small parcel and see if there was any sign. I found some monster tracks and plenty of other sign but everything was across the creek bottom from my plots. I was thnking that my presence at the food polts over the last month or so may had forced the deer to change their travel routes. Well, boy was I wrong.
I had made a loop (the property is small, only 3 acers) and was nearing the field with the plots when all he!! broke loose. It started with a crash then followed by 7 or 8 snorts and a large bodied buck with furry growth beyond the outside of his ear flashing past me to the left. In just a split second a second and third deer broke off to the right and headed back toward the food plots and in a matter of 5 seconds the woods were quite again and I was left with that terrible feeling of bumping a dandy buck out of the tangled confines of his bed.
Thankfully it is still early in the year so I don't believe the damage is too bad. I was totally supprise to get within 30 yards of these deer without spooking them as I was actually trying to be loud to avoid just this situation.
I learned an important lesson last night. If I don't have important bussiness to do stay the he!! out of my honey hole until I'm ready to hunt it.

How bad do you think the damage is. If Mr. Buck was making this his home would this one encounter be enough to push him out?
Old 06-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Busted last night

Your season is shot man.[8D] Come on it's June.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont think you did any damage. if you dont think that the deer saw you you should be ok. plus, it is still early in the season
Old 06-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're going to have to bump that big boy alot more than once to knock him off a good food plot. Don't beat yourself up to bad.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay outta the honey hole!!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don`t think you did much damage ether. A deer like that will stay shook up for a few days! but not to to long, And the time of year it is'? and without any more pressure than that! He`ll be back espeacialy with a good food source!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:25 PM

You should be fine, actually it might be beneficial to leave some of your sent in the area for them to get used to. As long as it is non threatening then your sent won't be so foreign come deer season.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I check my area's it's usually during mid day so as not to have the problem you have run into .Those deer were there probably because of your food plot and will likely remain there as well .I'm sure this has happened to them before with farmers and other's out for walk's .I wouldn't worry about it they'll be back they're going nowhere. One thing that I don't do is approach this area at all for about a month before season ,Some might disagree with me, but it work's for me .

nubo
Old 06-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

nubo; I think you right on target