Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A selection

Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 PM

Default A selection

I have been hunting a river bottom all season and have seen a few deer but nothing to really wite home to mother about. The bottom is filled with deer sign and it is a natural funnel. Here is the layou:

To the left of my stand it's pretty much open, with the scatter of down tree's and brush from the recent flooding, for about 60 yds and then you come to swampy, mucky ground.
To the right of my stand is the same scattered timber's but only about 30 yds of it until you reach the river bank.
The trail runs straight through the heart of this little funnel and comes to where a little drainage creek breaks off the river. They cross right there and then they continue back into the thick bottom land.
I have two stand placements in the bottom; one where the trail and the creek meet, up in a downed tree. The other is in a ground blind thats tucked back into the thick bottom entrance of where the trail goes in.

I know that's alot ot read, but here is my ACTUAL question.
I haven't been seeing as many deer as it seems would be in there according to the sign that I have found. But maybe I am hunting the bottom wrong? The trail that leads up to the road, crosses and heads up another hillside. That side of the road has alot of deer sign too, and also I have seen more deer crossing to that side of the road then into the bottom.

Shold I try to find a couple nice stand locations for the hill? Or should I stick to the bottom?