Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cleaning velvet off of antlers >

cleaning velvet off of antlers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cleaning velvet off of antlers

Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default cleaning velvet off of antlers

I came to the choice i did not want to spend 100 bucks mounting the skull and rack i found. I can not do it myself because it sticks and if i boiled it i think my nieghboors would freak.
So i come up with a idea to cut them off and take a 2x2 oak board and mount the antlers to the 2x2 and make a bow holder out of it.

One issue i have is the antlers have alittle velvet on the bottom. how can i remove it without staining the antlers there is some staining from the dirt and rain i though myabe hot water with alittle bleach my bring some of the stain out and the velvet off
Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM

Default RE: cleaning velvet off of antlers

Tim i went back and looked at your pic of the skull again and it looks like most of the cleaning is done naturally already and it wouldn't take that much more time to do it your self throw it in a pot simmer don't boil and the dawn dish soap to remove any grease that will accumulate and it will clean up nicely and probably wont stink nearly as bad as it does right now I have done a few in the same condition I use a pressure washer to get into the brain cavity and to give it a good cleaning, the dried piece of velvet will just peal off and if you do simmer the skull try not to get the horns into the water or they will discolor, When it's all cleaned up you can soak it in peroxide to whiten it then set out in the sun for a few days
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i already cut the antlers off when i first posted it everyone said not to mount it or waste the money so i just wacked them off
Old 09-10-2008, 01:51 PM

No expense if you do it your self and would have been a good one to learn on at that
Old 09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Bartender

Personally I would leave the velvet on as here in Wisconsin with the season start mid month I dont ge to wack one with velvet.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i thought about it would it stink or decompose
ORIGINAL: peakrut

Personally I would leave the velvet on as here in Wisconsin with the season start mid month I dont ge to wack one with velvet.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

T, I was out shining on Monday night, at least 20 different bucks still in full velvet. This could be the year!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

T, I was out shining on Monday night, at least 20 different bucks still in full velvet. This could be the year!
That's promising. Except I'm an EAB zone and I only have weekends[:@]