Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did you ever come across a wounded deer where... >

Did you ever come across a wounded deer where...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you ever come across a wounded deer where...

Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Did you ever come across a wounded deer where...

Did you ever come across a wounded deer where you had to put it down knowing it was the correct thing to do? I had an instant 2 years ago at my one property i hunt that borders dog training area. This doe walked by me at about 9 in the morning (it was the 1st day of small game also) I could tell there was something wrong with her. As she closed into my area I noticed she was walking into trees like she could not see,and she was weezing like it was hard to breath? Well when she got close to me I could tell she was shot with a shotgun in the face so it appeared to me. Now Im not real sure what to do, im pissed off, im sad, im overwhelmed. Let me state this also I did not have a doe tag left !! Well to this day I still believe I did the correct thing I shot her and ended her pain. Did I break the law yes. Did I do what was correct in my mind yes! There was NO WAY I was gonna watch this deer strugglewalking into trees and not being able to see. To this day I still have some guilt of breaking the law. Should I? Would I of had more guilt letting the deer suffer? I believe so!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Did you ever come across a wounded deer where...

I've learned a couple things on this site.....

One is.....if you do something like this.....it's better to just keep it to yourself.

I mean NO malice in saying that....and I agree with your actions.

Of ethics....it's often said that "Ethics" is doing the right thing.....when even the wrong thing isn't against the law.

That statement works both ways.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:06 AM

Ywild as a man we have compassion for things that are suffering. Even if the deer wasnt going to die you did the right thing becuase your best assesment was that it was suffering and was going to die. You ended its suffering and I would if caught explain to the judge that I did this because and I would do it over and over again and would pay the fine nowing that I did what was right.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've learned a couple things on this site.....

One is.....if you do something like this.....it's better to just keep it to yourself.

I mean NO malice in saying that....and I agree with your actions.

Of ethics....it's often said that "Ethics" is doing the right thing.....when even the wrong thing isn't against the law.

That statement works both ways.
You know jeff I was thinking of you before I posted this cause I remember you taking some heat before for something of this sort. This whole ordeal has been bugging me for awhile and I wanted to get it off my chest.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

My #1 situation was a "little" different. I had a deer (that I had a legal tag for) that had a lame leg (after I took him I reached down to touch it and was touching raw bone). No regrets.

I had another situation with a doe I found on the side of the road. I called the GW and he came and put her down. If I'd had a weapon.....I'd have done so right there on the spot (she'd been hit by a car).

You were the only one there. You did what you thought was right. No comments from me......except "thanks".
Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I was looking for cause I really want to close this deal. Like I said I have felt guilt for a long time well since I did it not for what I think was the correct thing by putting her down but cause I did break the law in the meantime! I did tell the farmer about it and telling him was like telling dirt he could of cared less 1 less deer eating his crops, but In telling him I felt a little better. I mean now that my daughter is hunting and she got her 1st deer last year I often look back and wander what would I have done if she was with me?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:26 AM

You should not feel bad. I would have done the same thing and the people I hunt with would have done what you did as well. You did the right thing do not worry about it.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think most hunters would have done the same thing as you. I would be suprised if you got any heat over this, but I also know that some people just love to provide grief and arm chair quarterback.

I have never had to deal with this while hunting. I have had to put a few down that were hit by cars. In fact, I did so just this past spring, knowing that it was illegal and I might recieve a fine for it. The county deputy that came to fill out the report thanked me for ending it quickly and never even thought of writting me up. So maybe you can take some comfort in that.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

anyone who has a problem with you doing something like that is probably someone looking for something to get upset about (seems like there are a lot of them out there...) I would of done exactly what you did and I would of been happy that I was able to ease the animal's passing. There are many cases where ethics/morality and the law don't exactly line up and in such cases bending the rules to do the right thing is perfectly ok with me.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 AM

You did the right thing.

Quick Reply: Did you ever come across a wounded deer where...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.