Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 moon phase and deer activity >

moon phase and deer activity

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

moon phase and deer activity

Old 10-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default moon phase and deer activity

well, I've noticed in about the past few days the moon has been nearly full, and full with a clear sky. I shot a doe on saturday night, and there were acorns everywhere. I went out tonight to the same spot, and honestly, it was hard to find any acorns on the ground. so, does it hold true that the deer feed more on a full moon with a clear sky (obviously) then regurally? I only saw two little ones this evening, but when I got down and walked out into the horse pasture (you could see well even though it was technically dark) I saw two little ones, a doe and I believe a good buck (he was considerably larger than the doe). I was considering not going out tomorrow am because it is so bright out. I do have two stands overlooking (you could say in) a bedding area that I was thinking of sitting. I wonder if they are out all night feeding, is a bedding area a better spot to sit? and is the evening basically a waste if they are in this sort of feeding pattern? It is also suppose to be eighty tomorrow. I talked to my father in pa who is a school bus driver who sees literally a hundred deer a day on his run, and he said he saw three deer today total, all little. he says it has been like that for about four days. cooincidentally, about the time the moon got really bright. let me know what you think.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:11 PM

Default RE: moon phase and deer activity

I hear ya. I've had clear nights here (Iowa) lately and it's been very quite and slow even in some of my best stands which almost always produce something. Is it the full moon doing this or the October lull period? Don't know for sure, maybe a combination of the two.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

When its a full moon, I do go in the afternoons. This weekend, I sat up between a suspected bedding area and an open field that they feed into after dark. Saturday night saw 6 deer and heard another that I never seen. The next afternoon, I moved in just a little closer to the bedding area and seen a lone small buck. They were all making their way towards the field.
I prefer afternoon hunts during a full moon phase over morning hunts, but I still go. Middle of day is also a good time during full moon. (Maybe the best)
Old 10-18-2005, 08:33 PM

Every year I say "I'll never hunt during an October full moon again". But every year I find myself sitting there anyway. This year is no exeption, I hunted hard in a great spot and only saw two deer, and they were moving 200mph with 2 coyotes on their tails. It's still better than work though
Old 10-18-2005, 08:45 PM

so during full moon they feed mainly during night and middle of the day? as full moon goes away after a few days they sort of revert back to the morning/evening feeding routines?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 PM

i was thinking about this the other night cause all the four or five times i have been out i have seen atleast six deer,,then i go out this past friday and saturday eveings and i didnt see anything and i was kinda dissapointed and i did know what was going on,,could this have been the reason why i have not seen anything