Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Moon Watch,  DAI-Deer Activity Index >

Moon Watch, DAI-Deer Activity Index

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moon Watch, DAI-Deer Activity Index

Old 09-13-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Moon Watch, DAI-Deer Activity Index

Is anybody familiar with the Deer Activiy Index(DAI)theory,by Grant Woods? Woods & others did extensive research watching & recordingdeer activity and relating it to the moon location & phase. It seems pretty interesting. As they say in the article, its not a sure thing, because there are many variables, but the DAI can give you an idea of when the deer should be the most active. The author of this article did some expirimenting and seemed to have results consistant with the DAI's findings.

Here is the article on it: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTQ/is_1999_Nov/ai_56219934

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody has a chart or calender with the DAI information, dates, times, etc, when the deer are supposed to be more active. I found it on the net one day, but Now I can't find the information anymore.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Moon Watch, DAI-Deer Activity Index

And I recently read an article that detailed a recent study by another "EXPERT" that said these moon charts are all hokus pokus. They even named the chart/wheel that had been pushed for several years. They just can't calulate in the things that have a more immediate effect on animal activity, such as weather, heat, hunting pressure, food etc etc etc. The real secret is, "Get out anytime you can and enjoy". Stay as long as you can and have fun. A $20 moon dial isn't going to make you a better hunter AT ALL. All the time you can spend in the woods will. There is NO secret chart or potion that will make you the next Chuck Adams. When people finally realize that and start REALLY hunting they will become successful.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

As they say in the article, its not a sure thing, because there are many variables
I tend to agree with this statement. There are so many variables out there that I would have trouble putting stock in any one thing. However, I do see alot less deer during a full moon.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: supaarcher
Anyways, I was wondering if anybody has a chart or calender with the DAI information, dates, times, etc, when the deer are supposed to be more active. I found it on the net one day, but Now I can't find the information anymore.

Thanks!
My Etrex LegendGPS shows moon phases, sunrise/sunset times, and best times for hunting/fishing activity if you go for that stuff. The only reason I even looked atthe hunting/fishing time stuffis because of this thread, lol. I do use the sunrise/sunset tables though. It also looks like the moon is going to be just about full on opening day in CT.Bad luck on that but I'll be out anyway.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:43 AM

I've seen various moon charts and game activity calenders, but I was wondering if anybody had Grant Woods version of it, with the numbering system, 4-10. I have seen it on the net before, but can't find it again.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

It also looks like the moon is going to be just about full on opening day in CT.
BUt you see, our season opens Thursday. The moon is getting REALLY big, BUT, we got a hurricane coming that's going to cloud everything out and dump rain on us Wed night. Deer should be feeding fine on Thursday. It's calling for clouds. OH, did I mention the showers and Thunderstorms on Thursday. I don't think the moon is a real concern.[&:]
Old 09-13-2005, 01:55 PM

Davidmil, I live in Onslow County North Carolina. I'm looking out my office window at the howling wind and debating whether or not to go this evening. Unless its a monsoon I will. My buddy killed a doe yesterday. We've been feeling the effects of Ophelia for a couple of days now. Maybe the approaching storm will increase thedeer activity?I know this doesn't relate to this thread but oh well
Old 09-13-2005, 04:58 PM

If anything the bad weather will keep them holed up.The best time i bet to be on stand will be as soon as the wind calms down.