Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Darton viper

Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default Darton viper

Anyone have some info on this bow?Is it a old bow or a GOOD bow?any info appreciated
Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Darton viper

It's probably about 15 years old. I had one in 1992. So yeah, it's old. And good, too. One of the very best in that era. And one of the fastest.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one up until just a few years ago. They were ahead of their time, IMO. I bought many bows to try to modernize, but kept the Viper, since I really paid very little for it. Most of those bows that I bought to replace the Viper, including a few Mathews, Hoyt and a Newberry were sold to new owners, while I kept the bow that shot better for me. It was rated at 228 fps. AMO, which is 60#, 30" draw and 540 gr. arrow, and shot about 290 in the IBO rating system. Mine had steel cables, and performed well. It was actually a few fps faster than a Bowtech Pro 40 Wheely that I had with heavier arrows, but couldn't keep up with the Bowtech or a Darton Tundra with lighter arrows. The Tundra was the bow that finally convinced me that it was OK to sell the Viper. They are longer than most guys want to shoot today, and not real light, but shoot very well. Add Limbsavers to the limbs and catwhiskers to both the string and the steel cables and the bow should be quiet enough for any use.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 PM

I have a Darton 45mx and have used it successfully for years. I've had others and still hunt with the Darton. A little heavy and long butI shoot finger tip so the extraweight helps stabilize my shots, better groups. With a #70 lb draw, a mid weight arrow/ broadhead setup and it'll kill anything in the woods. I have added a whisker bisquitand am quite pleased with the results. I will be using it for elk this year. The 45mx was seed to the viper so i imagine it performs justas well or better. Wouldn't hurt to restring it and have it checked for stress, thenshoot withthe bow for a while. Remember, Its not the bow, Its the shooter.