Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Unloading the 12 gauge New Englander >

Unloading the 12 gauge New Englander

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unloading the 12 gauge New Englander

Old 12-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Unloading the 12 gauge New Englander

I knew I had to unload the T/C 12 gauge New Englander so I could clean it. I was just going to walk out the back door and blast it off, but saw some snow falling. I kind of guessed the grouse might head early to the Black Cherry trees or the Alder thickets. So I put on my boots and took a walk around the trails I have cut through my woods. I happened to jump this little one right about where I figured them to be gathering. I got her on the way up out of the thicket, and hardly touched anything but her head. I was real happy with that, so I loaded up another round and kept walking.

As I crunched through the snowI heard something moving up ahead so I froze and dropped to one knee. Out walked two does about 40 yards from me. I hunched down there watching them and what do I see, a second grouse walking out past the deer. So now I have a choice, jump up and flush the grouse, scare the deer, or ground swat the grouse (which I hate to do actually).

Well the deer all of a sudden started staring at me. I saw the bigger one doing the ears forward and the front hoof stomping, so I knew I was going to be busted soon. The deer finally decided they had no I idea what I was, but wanted no part of it. They wheeled around, the grouse flushed and I watched all of them disappear in to the thicket.

Still it was a good day. I then walked back to the house, and finally fired off the New Englander so I could clean it..
Old 12-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Unloading the 12 gauge New Englander

Well at least you have one grouse and a clean muzzleloader I wwish I could find a grouse!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

cdad; you must live in north heaven!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you'll have a clean gun and a full belly.
I'd say you're enjoying the NewEnglander and the way it shoots.
I sure like mine. The .50 barrel is good for deer, and the 12 ga on small game. Never could get .690 balls to shoot out of the 12 ga, though. Just can't get any kind of group with them.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go Cayugad. Nothing like an interesting walk in the woods. (Real nice picture, also. Suitable for framing.)