Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 All the new powders... >

All the new powders...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

All the new powders...

Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default All the new powders...

Is anyone having any luck using the Shockey stuff or the APP or any of the other new powders? It seems like all ya see on this board are people having probs. It sure is making the ol RS Pyro look pretty appealing. I had thought about trying the APP but after reading some of the posts on here I may just stick to the T7 and Pyro. Thankfully no crud rings...yet...but I do use RWS caps with it.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: All the new powders...

Funny, I sometimes wonder the same thing...I remember when Pyrodex was introduced...Frankly the main advantage was the higher ignition temps so it could be shipped UPS and not stored in a powder magazine...Funny, about this time guys had problems with their cap locks, wouldn't go off as reliabily as when using Goex...Wonder if the two are related???

Now guys are buying "different" powders so they can clean their gun easier...
Have we really gotten this spoiled...What are you going to do with all that extra time on your hands???

I have used Pyrodex R-S in my inline, with a 209 and it did fine...I bought it on sale at WalMart for $5.00 a pound...Since most of my muzzle loading shooting is with my two flintlocks, I always have a good supply of Goex on hand...That's what my loads are taylored around...It still works, gets good velocity, good accuracy...So what if I have to run 6 patches down the barrel instead of 3??? I guess some guys have problems finding it...I'm lucky, a distributor is an hour away, there is a good BBQ place on the way and its selling this year for $11.50 a can...

Of course, if Jim Shockey says it's "the best" is must be...Right????

Now what rifle does he shoot??? Knight??? T/C???
What's his favorite bullet??? Barnes 300gr??? Nosler Partition???

Oh yea, I remember his favorite brand....Whoever pays him the most money to promote their product.............
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All the new powders...

LOL Id say that sums it up pretty nicely. I cant ever remember the Pyro misfiring in my inlines...and the triple 7 works as well. I think I hit the same clearance sale you did on the Pyro...lol...i bought several pounds of triple 7 for like 10 bucks as well. December and Jan in the Wally World sporting goods department is a beautiful time . I dunno if I will ever have to buy powder again. Goex is something I've never tried though.