Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 getting your ML ready for a hunt >

getting your ML ready for a hunt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

getting your ML ready for a hunt

Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 PM

Default getting your ML ready for a hunt

ok i am new at this so please excuse my ignorance.. i have had my omega at the range three times now and it seems like tha groups get tighter after 3-4 shots i watched the tc video that came with my gun and have been swabbing between shots and then using bore butter right before i put it up but my gun seems to like a little fouling in the barrel was wondering what to do when it comes time to hunt any suggestions????
Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: getting your ML ready for a hunt

Clearly, it's the first shot that counts in a hunting situation.

I hate hunting with a fouled barrel, though with some guns it's necessary because you just can't find a "clean barrel load".

It can take a lot of experimenting, but I try to find a bullet and load combination that will put the first shotfrom aclean barrelwithin two inches of the 100 yardpoint of aimevery time*. I know - I'm talking about a 4-inch group. Believe me, if you hit within two inches in any direction from your point of aim it will be plenty good enough. You can use one inch if you want.

Finding this kind ofload requires that you fully clean (or come pretty close to fully clean)and dry the barrel after each shot during your range session so that every shot is a "first shot". It's a pain. But once you find the golden load, you can hunt with a clean barrel with confidence. If you don't get a shot, you can leave the load in the gununtil next week, or next month, without concern.

(*Of course, if the gun issighted in to hitthree inches above the point of aim at 100 yards,the clean barrel shot should impact within two inches of a point three inches above the point of aim.)
Old 07-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ihuntbuck

ok i am new at this so please excuse my ignorance.. i have had my omega at the range three times now and it seems like tha groups get tighter after 3-4 shots i watched the tc video that came with my gun and have been swabbing between shots and then using bore butter right before i put it up but my gun seems to like a little fouling in the barrel was wondering what to do when it comes time to hunt any suggestions????
I first want you to know that I am not trying to start an arguement.. BUT the best place for that Bore Butter and your Omega.. I like to put the Bore Butter in the trash can. It seems to do the most good there. Sorry but I do not like the stuff, especially in inline rifles.

I wonder if you're not after 3-4 shots finally shooting that Bore Butter out of the barrel?

Personally I would clean the rifle like normal. I would then cost the inside of the bore with a quality gun oil like Birchwood Casey Sheath or Rem Oil with Teflon... Before I shoot, take a patch, and wet it with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol from Wal Mart... 91%) and swab the barrel. That will remove any oil in the bore. Then a couple of dry patches. After that pop two primers through the rifle. Now hit the range. Shoot your first shot on a clean barrel. You now can hunt all day, even all week, if you do not shoot your rifle off. After you shoot swab the barrel with Windex or a 50/50 mix of alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. A couple dry patches again, then load and shoot again.

See if the accuracy does not start off right away.

Then again, if you like Bore Butter and want to smear that in your rifle. Be sure to take patches and a good solvent and try and remove as much of it as you can before loading. Again, some dry patches, then load and shoot...

Hope that helps.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cay's right...Borebutter is made for the more traditional sidehammer guns...I called Knight's customer service and they said it actually hurts accuracy in the shallow, button rifled barrels...

You can find a clean barrel loading with any muzzleloader, you just have to look a little harder with some than others.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do it like cayugad says to.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

I agree 100 o/o Bore butter is better on corn but it taste terrible as far a a lube great on RB patches then cleaned out.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

I just watched the same TC DVD that came with my Omega. If I was paying attention correctly, I don't think Greg Ritz (?) or TC advocates a bunch of bore butter. He ran 1 bore butter patch through the gun twice a year- after hunting season and after sighting in at the range before the season. And he went out of his way to run dry patches and #13 patches through to remove all bore butter residue after the gun has sat. I can't imagine that 2 bore butter patches in a year would ruin accuracy.

Trust me, I am a full newbie and I have read with interest cayugad's posts over the past year...just saying this is how I interpreted the DVD...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

What I'm saying is after you have cleaned all the black powder residue from your gun use a good gun oil in your barrel, the same that you use in your centerfire will do just fine...Just no need for Bore Butter in an inline...In fact, I have two custom made flinters, one is over 30 years old and I don't use Bore Butter in them either...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM

well i was wondering about that bore butter because when i ran my wet patch before shooting it took three and still wasnt all the way clean. and i didnt really use all that much.. i think i will just use my rem oil from now on . will #13 take it out before shooting or do i need rubbing alcohol???
Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

I've kicked around the Bore Butter idea for years.And always came up with too many negatives with it and always just used Remington Gun Oil.

I do use Bore Butter to lube my Patches when shooting Patch and Ball.But clean it all out good at end of the day.

big rockpile