Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

powder question

Old 11-15-2005, 08:03 AM

Default powder question

I sighted my ML in at 125 yards with 100 grams of triple 7 and a T/C shockwave. My question is if I use 150 grams of Triple 7 will it shoot the same. I thinking about using 150 grams 1st day of deer season. The deer are 20 yards to 200 yards away. What do you all think?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: powder question

In short, do not expect it to shoot the same.

I think you should hunt with what you have sighted in with. Which by the way is more than plenty out to about 150 yards.

If you wish to increase your load, do that at the range in small increments. Don't jump to 150grains of powder. Not knowing what rifle you are shooting, 150 may be way over what your rifle is rated for. In fact, very few ML's actually group well with that high of a charge.

As for 200 yards, if you have not practiced and become proficient at 200 yards with a given load, I would not even attempt a shot that far. 200 yard shooting requires careful load development and practice at that range.

With your current load you would still be lethal for deer at 200 yards. If you are zeroed at 125 yards, your drop would be about 7-12" depending on your bullet weight. The only way to know for sure is to try at the range, not in the field. Best to know where you bullet placement will be, not might be.

I would limit my shot to about 150 yards top with your present setup.

Regards,

Tahquamenon
Old 11-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm the guy you wanna listen to hear (no offense to anyone else) i'm just shooting the exact same load as you. Here's what's going on. Adding more powder is going to increase your fps due to the more powder being burnt. Most people say you won't burn all of 150 grns out of your barrell by the time your bullet leaves. Don't believe them. Shoot 150 grains of triple 7 in the 30 grain pellet forms. You'll get increased velocity. Basically you'll probably just need to adjust your crosshairs down after you shoot a little bit. However, I will say this, with the shockwaves, sometimes it's easier to sight them in with 100 grns as opposed to 150. My brother shoots the same set-upas us, and he gets a little tighter groups shooting 100 grns as opposed to 150 grns.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kkleist

I sighted my ML in at 125 yards with 100 grams of triple 7 and a T/C shockwave. My question is if I use 150 grams of Triple 7 will it shoot the same. I thinking about using 150 grams 1st day of deer season. The deer are 20 yards to 200 yards away. What do you all think?

First off check your owners manual. Not too many manufacturers recommend shooting 150 grains of powder in loose form. In fact in the wrong make ofrifle, this could be lethal to you and not the deer.

If you up the load to 150 grains from 100 grains, I suspect that your POI will be different. You will need to do some range work to find out what that is.

If your shooting loose Triple Se7en your shooting a load that would be somewhat equal to 115 grains of Pyrodex. That is a good strong load in anyones book. In loose powder 100 grains of Triple Se7enwould be the limit in many of the Spanish barrel rifles. In fact 100 grains of Triple Se7en might be considered excessive, you would have to contact your gun maker. In the brands of rifle such as Knight or Thompson Center, then they tell you that 120 grains of powder is the max load in loose form.

What I suggest is, if your shooting pellets move the load to 120 grains and try that there if that is allowed in your rifle. Give your rifle a few shots at the range at 200 yards, but like Tahq said, make sure you know you can make that shot. 200 yards is a hard shot for most black powder shooters no matter what they might claim. They practice that shot. If you're still getting good groups and want to try 150 grains of Pellets in an approved rifle, try it. You might find out that your accuracy is not that good with 150 grainmagnum loads.

If your shooting loose powder and your rifle allows it, you might want to push the rifle to 120 grains and see if the accuracy is still good. Actually, try the load your shooting now at 200 yards and see if you can make the shot. If you can, and you can place your shot, then you should be able to make a clean shot on a deer sized animal even with only 100 grains of Triple Se7en.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtech die hard

I'm the guy you wanna listen to hear (no offense to anyone else) i'm just shooting the exact same load as you. Here's what's going on. Adding more powder is going to increase your fps due to the more powder being burnt. Most people say you won't burn all of 150 grns out of your barrell by the time your bullet leaves. Don't believe them. Shoot 150 grains of triple 7 in the 30 grain pellet forms. You'll get increased velocity. Basically you'll probably just need to adjust your crosshairs down after you shoot a little bit. However, I will say this, with the shockwaves, sometimes it's easier to sight them in with 100 grns as opposed to 150. My brother shoots the same set-upas us, and he gets a little tighter groups shooting 100 grns as opposed to 150 grns.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kkleist

(Just be sure you are measuring your powder charges in GRAINS, not GRAMS, since there are 15.42 GRAINS in a GRAM!! A 100 GRAM charge will give you a VERY HIGH velocity! BUt, it would probably not all fit in your barrel at the same time!!)