Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Cover Scent & Scent Control >

Cover Scent & Scent Control

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cover Scent & Scent Control

Old 07-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cover Scent & Scent Control

How do you eliminate your odor and blend in with the woods during archery season?
I bought a carbon suit this year but am not sure about it and how would you re-activate it up in the woods without a dryer?I have a feeling I'll be using my regular hunting clothes more.
I wash my hunting clothes in pine-sol and then in baking soda in a 5 gallon bucket.I hang them outside to dry and then store them in a small wooden box lined with fir boughs.
Before I suit up in the morning I wipe down w/rubbing alcohol and dust off with baking soda.Put on hunting clothes and spray down w/earth cover scent.I make sure all my hunting gear,bow,boots,etc.are clean and wear different clothes around camp and put plastic bags over the seat of my truck.I also try an step in all the elk droppings I come across.And have seen and called in more elk & deer that circle and come from down wind by doing all this.I also put on some of those elk scent wafers once in a while also.Good Luck.
Elkshed
Old 07-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cover Scent & Scent Control

I might be 100% wrong? IMHO carbon suits & scent eliminator sprays are "snake oil" in a new package. I just wash my clothes in baking soda. I store my clothes in a Rubbermade tote with pine tree branches. I think this might help a little? I just do my best to keep the wind in my face and hunt.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cover Scent & Scent Control

One thing about the carbon suits that has come to lite lately is that the carbon does soak up all odors, not just human odors! So, to spray down with a scent killer/cover scent would effectively kill the effectiveness of the carbon. Same thing with scent wafers stored with the carbon. So, use one or the other! I say the heck with carbon clothing, like ya said, with no dryer handy in the hills, just how long will the carbon last?
Play the wind, and hunt!