Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Energy vs. Velocity vs. Caliber >

Energy vs. Velocity vs. Caliber

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Energy vs. Velocity vs. Caliber

Old 01-08-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Energy vs. Velocity vs. Caliber

Doing some research on calibers and weights to determine what type of rifle to buy. Somewhere between a 270 wsm up to a 338. I've looked at different ranges for these sizes and tried to compare trajectories and energy impacts.
At 300 thru 500 yds, I see quite a difference in both. What would be adequate in energy to down a deer or elk. Would a smaller round with high velocity and energy be better than a larger caliber with less ?
Take for example, a 30 06 150 grn ( 1625 fps/880 ft.lbs. @ 500 yds ) compared to a 270 wsm 150 grn ( 1890 fps/1190 ft.lbs @ 500 yds.
Still looking to buy 1st and probably only deer rifle for next season. Sometimes more research is more confusing. Enjoy reading your comments and the controrvesy.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:48 PM

Default RE: Energy vs. Velocity vs. Caliber

Hi cheeta264,

When you want to make comparison between different calibers and cartridges it is a more valid comparison if you choose bullets of "similar sectional densities" for the different calibers.

A very good site to provide lots of the information you are seeking is:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2.guns.htm

When you reach that page look for the "general information" section....and the rifle cartridge section...in particular. If you spend a little time absorbing some of the available information...you will be much better informed prior to making your decision. And even though the author, Chuck Hawks, has preferences....he does an outstanding job of providing impartial information, (which is NOT always the case on some of these threads).

I hope this information helps!
Old 01-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It also gets confusing when you compare brands of ammuntion. You are probably quoting Remington core-lock ammo for the 30-06 at 500 yards (880 foot lbs). However, a look at Federal Premium and Hornady Custom ammo both still have 1200 ft/lbs at 500 yards with a 150 grain bullet.

Bottom line is you can do research till the cows come home. There is no "best" one rifle (which is why I own 6 different calibers!

If you are into hand loading, or don't mind spending a fortune for ammo, then by all means go for an oddball/new caliber. However, if you want to be able to pick from a good selection of ammo at a reasonable price, stick with either the 30-06 or the 7mm rem mag.

Sure, there are guns that do a certain job better than these, but both of these will get the job done WELL for anything for anthing from deer to elk.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a .300 Wby. Mag., or .340 Wby. Mag. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mmremmag or 300win mag are good choices and both offer a wide variety of factory loads.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with stubblejumper. It's hard to go wrong with either the 7mm RM or 300 WM. They are both fine all around choices.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its fun to compare and study balistics but if you figure on shooting game at 500 yards then you better go with at least the 30-378 Weatherby and then you better like recoil. I don't know what you plan to hunt with the rifle but if its deer ,elk moose and black bear then you mention of the 270 WSM would be a good choice. IMO.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

While doing the research, keep in mind the distances that you will most likely be hunting at. Depending on where you are, the average shot distance can vary greatly. Where I've done most of my deer hunting, there are few opportunities for shots over 100yds.

If you're getting started, I wouldn't worry about 300+ yd shots. In those cases I star thinkning more about stand placement or trying to get in closer. Just my $.02.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:33 PM

Researching is part of the fun of it.
At the end of your researching you will probably find that if you are going to hunt deer a .270 140gr bullet would be hard to beat, if elk are on the ticket buy a 30-06 and use 180gr bullets.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

"500 yards?"
More kills are made at 500 yards on paper than in reality. It is "possible" to make a shot at 500 yards just as it it possible I will get a date with a beauty queen tomorrow.

More game is probably shot at less than 100 yards than beyond 100 yds.
Not to say that shots at 200 or 275 yard shots can not be taken if you have the right gun and ability to use it and have the right kind of opportunity.

A lot of guys do some practicing at great distances from a bench rest at the range and claim they could be confident at shooting game at similar ranges.
Shots in the field at living targets in hunting conditions are most often quite diffrent than at the range. In the time it takes to deside to shoot, squeese the trigger and the bullet to travel to a deer, a deer could move and be in a diffrent position when the bullet arrives.

When choosing a rifle I usually fall in love with a make and model, then figure out what cartrige I need it in.

There are so many good deer/elk cartridges around that I rarely recommend one. What ever you choose, your ability to put a good bullet through the vitals with it will be the biggest factor in its killing power

Robin

Quick Reply: Energy vs. Velocity vs. Caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.