Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana public lands

Old 02-21-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Montana public lands

I am wondering what Mt has for Public lands? And how hard is it to get on private lands for Mulies and White tail. Where in the state would be a good place to focus on hunting.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montana public lands

To the west on the devide and farther you hace a abundance of Nat'l Forest,and mountainous terrain.Mulies and white-tail live in both.But some areas are Draw only on Mulie bucks, and either sex on white-tails.Be shure to check the regs.

Ceteral MT have some Natl Forset and a host of Block management,were you can find both on river bottoms or in the mountains.Check regs on specific area's and quota's.

Eastern Montana has BLM and DNRC land with block management area's the land is broken in to sage brush flats and coulees with timbered riges.white-tails are found in river bottoms and wet area's or creek drainiges,where the mulies are found on the timbered riges and sagbrush flats.

You will have to look at a map and find out wich area suits you best and what kind of hunt you want.
Private land can be tough to come arross if you don't know someone of been here befor,best bet is to find some block management to hunt.

Montana is a big state and lots of deer,let us know what area you are looking at and maybe we can fine tune it down.
BBJ
Old 02-22-2006, 06:56 AM

WE are thinking about eastern Montana. Another question on the liscence is the deer combination the only option or do they have any deer only. We are not going to do any bird hunting. However if that is the only option we may have to bring along the shot guns as well.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

The only options is the Deer Combo. You could put in for a muley doe B tag or buy an OTC Whitetail Doe tag for which ever region of Eastern Montana you are considering. Eastern Montana is still a big area and you need to look at the area you are considering.

If it were me I would throw in a shotgun regardless.

Do you already havebonus points for the deer combo? Since you are asking aboutpublic lands I am assuming you don't have a landowner sponsored or landowner preference option. The drawing odds for the deer combo are about 12 % without any bonus points.

Nemont