Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

welding?

Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default welding?

anybody hear get to weld for a class in school. im a soph in h/s and am taking welding. we havent got to the welding part yet but we are working on cutting with the plasma cutter. its pretty sweet. something i may want to invest in someday anybody got any tips for me?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: welding?

Good luck with the class. Plasma cutters are expensive there around $1200 but there good if you`d cut alot but a cutting tourch will do the same thing and is much cheaper wont be as perfect a cut but they work just fine for the weekend worrior. Only tip I know is always were sleeves and gloves weld spatter hurts! But heres a couple links that have some useful info
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...icles/list.asp
http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/
Good luck,sean
Old 09-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah and never weld in flip flops you`ll end up with funny looking scars!
Old 09-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

welding is fun i took it in school and madea table. I also had wood class and made myself a gun case. i told the teacher it was for a guitar. lol it weighs 36 pounds. so its just a case that you can though in the back of your truck. o ya welding dont inhale to many fumes not to great for ya. i welded witha stick and a mig. mig is a hell of alto easier, for starters. o ya one thing make sure you have the heat range correct, because my friend kept trying to weld these rings togther but his weld kept breaking i go in there and the heat range wasnt set right. other then that you should be fine your teacher should no somthin about it.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

well we arent allowed to weld in anything but jeans, coat, and gloves. im thinking about gettin a welder off ebay. know any cheap ones that work good? lol
Old 09-09-2004, 09:26 PM

Good thing. Welding arcs give off UV and Infra red rays. Usually, all you get is a sunburn, But repeated prolonged exposure can give you skin cancer.

A big thing to watch out for is arc flash. Basically that sunburn you get on your skin, happens to your eyes. They keep huting, and hurting, it feels like you have sand in them, and they are very sensitive to light, and water like crazy. I have only had a couple of mild flashes so far, but I do know of people that have taken a week off for a severe flash. Avoid it at all costs.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lincoln and miller are about the best but hobarts are good and if you really want a cheap one that isant bad look at speedway series there usually about $100 or less I have one of there 100amp arc welders and it actually works pretty good and its lasted quiet awhile with no problems but I dont know about where you live but here we have a tool sale a few times a year with some people who I guess travel the country selling the stuff and they sell them speedway series arc and mig welders for $100 or less but there decent stuff for a beginner who dosent weld every day and im sure theres some of them on ebay
Old 09-10-2004, 10:13 AM

Ya i took welding in high school the arc was ok but i was a big fan of the mig welder. Got to make a project in the class so i whipped up a couple hanging treestands. Work pretty darn good too.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use a Ac welder. I like 2 weld it is fun. I always screw around welding crap. .
Old 09-11-2004, 10:45 AM

I'm a welder I don't take i it in school but my dad is a pipefitter so I learned from him. I just finished making a chair rack and today I'm starting on a new blind for our duck boat. I usually use a wire feed but I am starting on stick welding. I can pretty much use any tool in our garage, or in his truck. He says I am a good welder. When I get out of college I'm to be a pipefitter like him.