Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Augusta Co. (Va.) schools ban guns >

Augusta Co. (Va.) schools ban guns

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Augusta Co. (Va.) schools ban guns

Old 12-15-2003, 04:41 PM

Default Augusta Co. (Va.) schools ban guns

Taken from whsv.com
----------------------
Augusta County Schools Ban Guns
Damon Dillman

The Augusta County School Board is the latest to ban weapons from school property - under any circumstances.

On Thursday night, the school board voted 6-1 to amend the district's weapons policy. The new policy bans weapons from all school grounds at any time - even if the weapon is in a closed container or locked in a trunk.

"Guns and weapons do not belong on school property, and we need everything we can to keep our schools as safe as possible," explained Thom Jennings, one of the school board members who voted in favor of the amendment.

Earlier this year the Harrisonburg City and Rockingham County school boards passed similar bans. But not everyone thinks they're necessary.

The only Augusta County school board member to vote against the amendment was Penny Plemmons of Goshen. She says the change will punish students who are obeying a state law that allows unloaded guns in trunks on school grounds.

And William Deardorff, principal at Buffalo Gap High School, says the new policy will be difficult to enforce.

"You have to have reasonable cause to search the cars," he said. "I can see many, many problems with it."

Deardorff has been principal at Buffalo Gap for 16 years.

"We have never had a problem in the past," he said. "In the past, we've simply told the kids to keep them out of sight and locked up in their cars.

"My feeling is if a student's going to bring a gun on school property for the purpose of doing harm to someone," Deardorff added, "they're going to do that regardless."

Another reason Plemmons says she opposed the change was because students - many of whom would bring guns so they could hunt either before or after school - behaved properly with their weapons.

Jennings disagreed with the notion that the ban was a punishment.

"I think it may be an inconvenience for those minority of students who had the opportunity to hunt before school, or hunt immediately after school," he said.

"But we're dealing with a minority of students, we're dealing with a small portion of the school year," Jennings added. "I think it behooves us to do whatever we can to keep our schools as safe as we can, and this policy change makes our schools safer, in my opinion."

Deardorff sympathizes with those students.

"I just think the policy is not really necessary, and I feel bad for the good kids who truly are interested in hunting," he said.

Deardorff added that he will notify students of the new ban on Tuesday. He says he doesn't expect it to be a major problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have thoughts or opinions? This doesn't affect my school because we are in the city, and our guns got banned a long time ago. It's very unfair to those who are responsible with their firearms and leave them unloaded like common sense would dictate. I have to agree with BGHS principal Deardorff, if somebody was gonna go in the school and unload into a crowd, they were going to do it regardless of a ban.[:@]
Old 12-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Augusta Co. (Va.) schools ban guns

Should the students be able to have guns in thier cars in the parking lots? No, I don't beleive so. Although I would like to beleive that this wouldnt apply to most hunters, it still leaves the oppertunity to have an excuse to have a gun in your car. In the heat of the moment, not all humans have strong morals and beliefs, and in the heat of the moment, anything can happen.

My issue with this ban is will it affect parents of the younger hunters who come to pick up thier student to take out hunting after school?

You guys should feel lucky, In in IL, you cannot even have a firearm in your car unless you have a FOID card, and you must be 18 to have a foid card. When my dad left for Canada, I had to drop my gun off at my dad's building in Wi before I could go home in IL.

I have applied for a FOID card though...
Old 12-15-2003, 08:43 PM

Thats not new news to me, here in sd its illegal too, no matter what its for, or how its cases,if its on school grounds you can go to court and all that crap.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:32 PM

My issue with this ban is will it affect parents of the younger hunters who come to pick up thier student to take out hunting after school?
Yes, it does. A friend of mine at the firehouse got a pretty good chewing for having a rifle in his truck while dropping his daughter off at school. I personally think this whole thing is BS, but like I said, it doesn't affect me; ours went into effect a long time ago. 6 months and I'll be out of school for good anyways.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:12 PM

I think way too many people get way too hyper about guns, but that's just my humble opinion. If someone's gonna do something bad, they're gonna do it. If guns are outlawed in this country, only the outlaws will have guns. I'm kinda glad I go to our local church school...........during dove season, I have my shotgun sitting in the front unloaded and cased, with a shell belt hanging over the seat, and the Principal asks if I did any good Saturday, or whenever I'm hunting. Same with my bows. And no, this isn't a government funded public school.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:19 PM

In Utah you can have a gun in your car at school and even take it in school if you got a concealed weapons license. My last debate competition delt with this issue and I got to argue for the good and true cause . Basically studies and stats show that where there are guns in schools because of teachers with CWL's that the students are less disruptive (even when they don't know who has a gun) also there is less crime at the school on a whole. Test scores have also soared with this. The only problem is the anti's[:@][>:] think that this is "dangerous to the childrens mental health." and all that crap.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:05 PM

my opinion, on the subject, is that guns should not be permitted
in school, because anyone can get a concealed weapons license
its just like your drivers license, if you dont have a bad record you
can get one, they dont know your dangerous, its just to risky
lifes short hunt hard
Old 12-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Grant - I know what your saying, it can happen no matter what. What I am talking about is removing the oppertunity for someone to do something stupid. I had a couple friends in H.S. who once they were pissed off, they would do things they would regret later, only because they are not thinking. If one of these guys had a gun in thier car, got pissed off, it would have to much oppertunity to walk outside to their car.

I'm very pro 2nd amendment, but at the same time, I don't think I would have been comfortable knowing certain people were "packin heat" in their cars.

The place I do not agree with this ruling is a father picking their son/daughter to go out hunting.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:05 PM

I think gang bangers should be allowed to carry guns! (NOT)