Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
Makin Money $$$ >

Makin Money $$$

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Makin Money $$$

Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Makin Money $$$

I am turning 16 on June 16 this upcoming year and you know what that means...it's time for a truck!!

My parents are giving me a certain price range and if I want to go beyond that, I have to pay for it. I know I am lucky for them to be paying for some of it.

There's a really nice truck that I can get...but I need an extra $2000 .
You guys have any ideas on how I can make $2000 (or more!) within 7 months?

Thanks guys
Kellen
Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I imagine you hafta work around school/weekends... work for anyone around your area, and word will get around and you'll probably get offered opportunities. My friend's dad owns a mowing business and my friend could make 500 in about 6 hours--1 day a week, but he only had one of his own contracts, the rest was free labor for his dad . Area farmers and ranchers can often use a hand for some oddjobs they haven't had time to complete. Keep in touch with your farm/ranch friends. Older people can often use a hand for building upkeep and construction type stuff. The list goes on; money is money right now. Since you're just doing work for a little while instead of starting a career, you don't have to love what you're doing and you don't have to get anything that's set/steady.

When it comes to a used vehicle purchase, don't forget you're going to have to do a major tune-up. Most people don't take care of their vehicles, don't know how, or don't know what to do when it's time.

Be prepared for the following checks and replacements (amongst others I'll be forgetting):

Tires; air, fuel, transmission and oil filters; oil, transmission, differentials (with friction modifier), and transfer case fluid changes; spark plugs and wires; greasing and degreasing; wheel bearings and hubs; brake pads, calipers, rotors; belts and hoses, pcv.... Most people wouldn't check/change half of that stuff.

Everything you do, use quality stuff. Assuming most things check out, it won't be very expensive to clean your vehicle (inside and out) and replace fluids but keep the above in mind. I just did a sea-foam application through my vaccuum lines today---recommend it. Lucas oil products are very good for their intentions. I use Restore engine lubricant at every oil change. K&N lifetime air filters and other Fram filters; Mobil 1 for synthetic motor oil or castrol gtx for conventional; Mobil 1 full synthetic gear oil for differentials (very pricey, use conventional if you can and just change it more often) with friction modifier; autolite plugs... yada yada.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Get a job would be my best guess

~CC
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

i get my name around by working on numerous farms. last summer i was running 10 different farm jobs during planting and hay season. if you work hard for somebody they'll start sending your name around to some of their buddies. right now i milk mornings and do beef chores at night. if you like hands on work and manual labor then farming is the way to go. just some thoughts. and just as big z said, know what your doing when it comes to vehicles. if you know what your doing it will save you some money by not having to take it to a shop where they make you pay big bucks for something that only cost a couple bucks. they make there money off of the labor charges. so if you know what to do you will save money that way.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mow lots of yards, shovel lots of snow. Get hooked up with some farmers or contractors. Labor is where it's at for you right now. Work hard, and you'll be offered more work.
-Jake
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seal asphalt during the summer.