Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
What Size Bow do I need? >

What Size Bow do I need?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

What Size Bow do I need?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Spike

Default What Size Bow do I need?

Hi, I have the awesome opportunity to mentor a 14 year old young man at the school where I work.

He is medium size and just a beginner. What size bow do you recommend I get for him?

I was thinking maybe a 30# to 50# adjustable. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

It has been awhile since I last shot my bow (which got damaged beyond repair after falling out of my truck) but it was 60 pull back. I'd go with 50 or less for now until he is comfortable with it, maybe higher if he can pull it back safely. But that is just my two cents and should wait for more suggestions.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get a bow with a min of at least 40lbs and a max in the 55-70lb range. I started at over 60lbs comfortably at 14. Draw length is especially important. Too long will make the draw seem awkward and more difficult. At 6'3 I'm shooting only a 28 1/2" draw to match my style/caliper. Longer makes it more difficult for me, even though I have shorter/smaller friends shooting longer draw lengths.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

id say get him a 30#-50# a min draw length of 26in but that my opinioin i have a browning andreniline i love 28in draw 40# draw with that light draw i can pull it back very stealthy and slow
Old 04-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Definatly go with the 30-50 lb range. For a specific bow, I have used the BROWNING MICRO MIDAS III. It goes up to about 42# and if you get some other limbs (may be able to through your local archery shop) can go up to a touch over 50#. Good luck Tom!

BigBuck95
Old 04-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input everyone. I think we will go for the 30# to 50# range. Here in Arkansas 40# is the legal hunting weight for deer hunting.

The young mans teacher told me yesterday that he was really excited about learning how to shoot a bow and that he was already doing better in class. I just pray that it continues.

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

you cant go wrong with a diamond razor edge or watever the youth bow name is to lazy to get my old one out .but it is a great bow to learn with and shoots at high fps making it good for hunting.