Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
Novel suggestions fast! >

Novel suggestions fast!

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Novel suggestions fast!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Novel suggestions fast!

Im in the second semester of grade 12 and need novel suggestions for english 30-1. ONly time I spend reading actual books is for english hahaaha. Doesn't have to be hunting related I would actually prefer if its not. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

To Kill a Mockingbird, The Lord of the Rings, The Hunt For Red October..list goes on..
Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything by Louis L'Amour for westerns, Dean Koontz for sci-fi/thriller/horror. Umm a good action book is Super Hawks by an author i for got the name of.... the list goes on, any added preferences and i could be more specific
Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Spike

The Last Algonquin, great book and it deals with the outdoors.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by huntnteen
Anything by Louis L'Amour for westerns, Dean Koontz for sci-fi/thriller/horror. Umm a good action book is Super Hawks by an author i for got the name of.... the list goes on, any added preferences and i could be more specific
I have a 169 book collection of his original paperbacks...

Ok nerd hour over. I would actually vote for John Grisham the Testament. It's a really good book about a lawyer that gets sent into the South American Jungle. Not a hunting book but a good adventure book. Probably one of my favorites.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah I have the same exact collection then lol, only all mine are worn out through many readings
Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ide look into the bear wench project....look it up
Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Same here, pretty sure I've got some lost page in some of them.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Most schools have a list of novels approved as "college bound" that meets high standards...any of these will be fine.

Some of the better books out there (classic category) are by Ernest Hemingway...A Farewell to Arms, The Sun Also Rises, etc...

with the recent death of Joseph Salinger there is a lot of interest in The Catcher in the Rye...

I am a big fan of Louis La'more's The Daybreakers...(western category)

In the Science Fiction category...I would recommend Isaac Asimov's I, Robot... and several books by Michael Crichton including State of Fear... also Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (that my 8 year old son is currently reading)... and Orson Scott Card's Ender series (begins with Ender's Game...most of my students really enjoy reading this one...)

In Fantasy category...I recommend J.R.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings trilogy (Fellowship of the Ring is book 1) or the Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (12 books to date) beginning with Eye of the World

If you want to scare yourself silly then read any of the Richard Preston books (Hot Zone and Demon in the Freezer are both non-fiction, while Cobra Event is a fiction story...btw these novels are absolutely graphic in detail...I have had students throw-up after reading parts of these books...)

A recommendation from a teacher...read, read, read...there is nothing better that you can do to improve your knowledge base or education...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always liked ' Where The Red Fern Grows' myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.