Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
What size of gun? >

What size of gun?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

What size of gun?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Spike

Default What size of gun?

What size of gun do you guys shoot? Is there a certain caliber that you prefer to use for a certain animal?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

You'll get lots of different suggestions. I don't think there is any one right answer. Not only do you have to match the gun to the game, but you have to match it to whatever statutes are in force in your area. (For example, you can't use a centerfire rifle for deer in Southern Lower Michigan.) Also equally important is to match the gun to yourself, relating to your size, strength, etc.

But welcome to the forum
Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

20 gauge is waht i get deer with but last night my dad bought a inline so ill be hittin dat up fosho
Old 08-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Spike

Oh, I know that. But I was just seeing what everyone liked to use. I know that I have a .30-30 and I shot my Dad's 7mm last year when I was moose hunting and I don't wanna use any gun lower then that, I use it for all my big game hunting and for waterfowl I prefer 12 gauge.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

My favorite is .50 caliber Hawken style muzzleloader. It's heavy so I don't feel hardly any recoil. It's also legal for deer in Southern Lower Michigan. I like the .30-30 also. It's a Winchester 94. My husband put a scope on it because his vision doesn't work so well with the iron sights anymore. I use a single shot .22 for woodchucks. (We eat them. They're just a big squirrel.) And a 20ga. for rabbits, single shot. I can't use a 12ga.. Too much recoil. (I'm really small.)

My husband has some relic Mausers and I like to shoot them a lot. The weight again dampens the recoil some, but I can take about 8-10 shots. I shoot them from a sitting position supporting my arm with my knee. I'm a better shot than my husband, probably because my vision is better. He's just as good with a scope as I am.

We can't get out to hunt as often as we might like to because we have to get my mom to watch our daughter. We take her with us when we go scouting though.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Spike

Trust me, I know all about being small! I am only five feet tall, it runs in the family. But I manage to shoot just fine. I like using the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2, its the duck hunting camo version. I was scared at first but once I shot it, it become my new partner. I'm always up for trying new things.

Do you think that your daughter will become a hunter because we need more girls out there to show those guys that hunting is not only for them.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

I agree! Get the ladies involved! My sister and little cousin hunt with our camp now and its exciting to see the girls getting deer. I shoot a .30-06 or .30-30 for deer. I use a 12 ga. or .22 for small game. and the rest of my guns are just for enjoyment. I shoot something from my "collection" almost everyday haha but for hunting I stick to the basics.
-Jake
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

My go to gun for any situation from deer to pigs to Audad is my .300 win mag. But I still like to take my .30-.30 out occaisonally and shoot a pig with it, or use my .357 Mag revolver. For dove hunting I switch back and forth between my 12 gauge pump and my NEF 20 gauge Single Shot (its just fun to shoot).

Other than those guns I really don't use my other ones for anything other than occaisonally shooting for fun.

Tobe
Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

you name it nd i probably have one. my personall favorite as of late is a mod 7 350 mag that i have been carrying the last year or two but if it gtes down to the wire and its time to get serious and kill i always go backi to my iron sights remington pump carbine in 35 whelen or 06
Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tobe_B
NEF 20 gauge Single Shot (its just fun to shoot).

Tobe
i agree i have one of those nef single shot 20ga i love to plink squrirrals and other small game with it and oh yea its fun to shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.