Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Anybody else feed the animals in the winter? >

Anybody else feed the animals in the winter?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Anybody else feed the animals in the winter?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody else feed the animals in the winter?

Just so you know Mossy, im against hunting over baitpiles. It takes the skill out of it. I dont care what arguements you, or anybody else, give me....i will never change my mind. People here shoot 150" bucks over cornpiles like nothing, which makes anything else you shoot look "small" and "pathetic". Its just not right and it hurts the sport. I rank it right up their with high fence hunting.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Really? I shot my buck over a salt block this year butI put my stand in that location because of a trail I had found nearby. Not to mention the fact the he walked past the salt block and never even blinked. Also what do you consider baiting? Is it corn piles, food plots, salt blocks, trophy rocks.... what is you opinion of one I would like to know because I really dont know what to consider a baited area.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think baited means physically having a timed feeder dumping out feed or pouring out corn for deer along those lines. i dont know if salt blocks go under "baiting" but i know food plots dont.
caleb to be honest with you i have never seen a deer eat my bait. i put it out to bring more deer in the area, and to give them a reason to come to that spot. i dont see anything wrong with it at all. its natural, indians could have ripped off corn and put it in a pile for deer, so i see nothing wrong with it. high fence hunting is a completely different thing IMO and bear baiting is as well
Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Just so you know Mossy, im against hunting over baitpiles. It takes the skill out of it. I dont care what arguements you, or anybody else, give me....i will never change my mind. People here shoot 150" bucks over cornpiles like nothing, which makes anything else you shoot look "small" and "pathetic". Its just not right and it hurts the sport. I rank it right up their with high fence hunting.

Maybe in your neck of the woods. Different land calls for different measures. There is land that I hunt if you aren't putting out a food source, you aren't seeing a deer.

Call me unskilled... I put just as much if not more time into scouting and hunting than anybody who is a big, bad "non-baiter".
Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heres my answer to all of you....

#1, When a hunter or nature lover puts out corn in the winter for deer, it takes them off of their natural feeding patterns. They will pattern themselves to the corn (most likely hitting it at night). This is not good however because contrary to what people are made to believe, corn is not "good" for a deer. It has little nutritional value. Deer should be out foraging and eating a variety of plants in the winter to keep themselves healthy. But when corn is made readily available, it turns off that cycle. Also, if the hunter would ever forget to put corn out for an extended period, or stop altogether, it really screws with their feeding habits.

#2, Deerfeeding from feeders/troughs/cornpilesare believed tobe able to spread CWD and other saliva/blood based diseases. This reason alone should be enough to not put corn piles out.

#3, It creates a "fish in a bucket" syndrome. I used to use corn in front of my game cameras. When i saw that i could get 2 bucks and 5 does together at the same time during daylight hours, i stopped. Why? Because their is no skill in throwing out a pile of corn and "ringing the dinner bell"for deer hunting. I am not in this to "feed my family" (though we enjoy, and eat every deer we harvest), or "increase my kill numbers". I deer hunt to have fun in the outdoors, learn about the animal, and my ultimate goal is to be able to ethically harvest a mature whitetail year after year.

Arguments could be made that;

"You must not be from around here", no, i may not be, but you dont have to bait deer to kill them. If deer are so scarce that you believe the only way to kill them is to bait, then i suggest moving to a different are and letting the population rebound. Take our friend Skybuster, his deer numbers are extremely poor, so he TRACKS his quarry. That is true hunting to me. Kudos to him. People who are from Texas and other southern states say baiting is the only way and thats how THEY do i. Thats fine. I don't have a problem with that, any legal choice is okay with me. But inside, i don't view them as the same kind of hunter as me, and thats just opinion.

"Food Plots", this one is tricky, because technically YOU are putting it their and it is acting like a bait station. But, food plots require many factors to work, and if you can grow them successfully in your climate, then they are legally natural and the deer have a choice of which browse to feed on. Also, they are usually larger then a 5 gallon bucket, thus spreading out your chances of harvesting a deer in one. If you put the time and EFFORT into building a great food plot, then i personally feel that you earned the right to hunt over it and use it fair. I have not used one yet, but i plan to in the future. I view food plots just like i view farm fields, you have to draw a line where to cut out ethical and unethical in you own mind.

"calls and scents", i find these ethical because you are using his own weaknesses against him. He has a choice weather to respond or not. Deer HAVE to eat, they dont have to come looking for every hot doe in the county.

"mineral licks", these actually help deer grow antler if you use trace minerals. The only downside is the possible spreading of CWD because of the saliva factor. Studies have proven that MOST deer (Not all, there are exceptions) abandon mineral licks after the summer months. if you choose to hunt over them, that is your call. I do not, but i do have a few established licks.

Once again, everything i said is just my opinion, and nothing else. Everyone is entitled to there own, and it is wrong for me to try and change your own logic on the subject. But, like ive shown, im not afraid to offer mine up for discussion.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres my answer to all of you....

#1, When a hunter or nature lover puts out corn in the winter for deer, it takes them off of their natural feeding patterns. They will pattern themselves to the corn (most likely hitting it at night). This is not good however because contrary to what people are made to believe, corn is not "good" for a deer. It has little nutritional value. Deer should be out foraging and eating a variety of plants in the winter to keep themselves healthy. But when corn is made readily available, it turns off that cycle. Also, if the hunter would ever forget to put corn out for an extended period, or stop altogether, it really screws with their feeding habits.

#2, Deerfeeding from feeders/troughs/cornpilesare believed tobe able to spread CWD and other saliva/blood based diseases. This reason alone should be enough to not put corn piles out.

#3, It creates a "fish in a bucket" syndrome. I used to use corn in front of my game cameras. When i saw that i could get 2 bucks and 5 does together at the same time during daylight hours, i stopped. Why? Because their is no skill in throwing out a pile of corn and "ringing the dinner bell"for deer hunting. I am not in this to "feed my family" (though we enjoy, and eat every deer we harvest), or "increase my kill numbers". I deer hunt to have fun in the outdoors, learn about the animal, and my ultimate goal is to be able to ethically harvest a mature whitetail year after year.

Arguments could be made that;

"You must not be from around here", no, i may not be, but you dont have to bait deer to kill them. If deer are so scarce that you believe the only way to kill them is to bait, then i suggest moving to a different are and letting the population rebound. Take our friend Skybuster, his deer numbers are extremely poor, so he TRACKS his quarry. That is true hunting to me. Kudos to him. People who are from Texas and other southern states say baiting is the only way and thats how THEY do i. Thats fine. I don't have a problem with that, any legal choice is okay with me. But inside, i don't view them as the same kind of hunter as me, and thats just opinion.

"Food Plots", this one is tricky, because technically YOU are putting it their and it is acting like a bait station. But, food plots require many factors to work, and if you can grow them successfully in your climate, then they are legally natural and the deer have a choice of which browse to feed on. Also, they are usually larger then a 5 gallon bucket, thus spreading out your chances of harvesting a deer in one. If you put the time and EFFORT into building a great food plot, then i personally feel that you earned the right to hunt over it and use it fair. I have not used one yet, but i plan to in the future. I view food plots just like i view farm fields, you have to draw a line where to cut out ethical and unethical in you own mind.

"calls and scents", i find these ethical because you are using his own weaknesses against him. He has a choice weather to respond or not. Deer HAVE to eat, they dont have to come looking for every hot doe in the county.

"mineral licks", these actually help deer grow antler if you use trace minerals. The only downside is the possible spreading of CWD because of the saliva factor. Studies have proven that MOST deer (Not all, there are exceptions) abandon mineral licks after the summer months. if you choose to hunt over them, that is your call. I do not, but i do have a few established licks.

Once again, everything i said is just my opinion, and nothing else. Everyone is entitled to there own, and it is wrong for me to try and change your own logic on the subject. But, like ive shown, im not afraid to offer mine up for discussion.
i think you might have changed my mind about baiting a little caleb; this is well said and well thought out; i still may bait, but do it a lot less often, and i am going to plant a food plot this spring/fall so i wont have any reason to bait really.
the only thing i disagree with is the deer scents and calls. i most certainly do use deer calls and scents and have had success with both, but i believe that it is instinct for deer to go to the noise or smell of another deer. it is a weakness they have, but there stomach is also one of their weaknesses. deer have to eat but they also HAVE to breed, there not like humans who do it for fun,they have to do breed to survive. JMO

Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good points Evan, but 95% of the bucks i have called/rattled at have ignored it completely. The only one who showed interest this year was Freak Daddy, and he came into both because he was the TOP DAWG in the area and he knew it. My intentions were not to chance your mind BTW, just to throw my opinion out there.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points Evan, but 95% of the bucks i have called/rattled at have ignored it completely. The only one who showed interest this year was Freak Daddy, and he came into both because he was the TOP DAWG in the area and he knew it. My intentions were not to chance your mind BTW, just to throw my opinion out there.
you didnt make me change my mind just made me think about it. really i dont see THAT many more deer baiting and and corn is expensive and if i could be hurting my herd baiting; i will not do it anymore.
actually most of the deer i saw, i used a doe estrus can call 5 minutes before i saw the deer. i think im a little too afraid to rattle because its just so loud and im not sure how big the bucks on my land actually are and the last thing i want to do is scare deer away from me
Old 02-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The thing about "How big the bucks are" is irelevant. Even if they biggest buck is a 120 class deer, he could still be the TOP DAWG. I dont know your area very well, your going to have to keep us updated with trail camera pictures so we can see your deer class.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

theyve been liking the peanutbutter and lettuece at my house they also eat out of the neibors birdfeeder i try to feed them because we always used to feed them and now they rely on us so i cant really stop.. im probably going to buy a couple pounds of bird seed

Quick Reply: Anybody else feed the animals in the winter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.